GPS Questions?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Whitman

Reaction score
Ok I am looking for a GPS for my wife.

So I am hoping that there is acouple people on this site using them in their TRACS. She has an 04 Trac.

My big question is do any of them have voice control where when driving you can ask for an address?? Worried that she might play with it trying to put in address's and not pay attention to the road! Don't tell her I said that!

Also what else should I be looking for in a system???

Is it required to mount it on the Dash or Windshield?? Because Honestly I don't like that... I think they look awful sitting on the Dash or Windshield!

Cheers

Whit

I haven't seen any yet that you talk to, they only talk to you.

My Garmin Nuvi has an input for an external antenna so you could mount it anywhere and run an antenna to a better place.

[Broken External Image]:

It doesn't accept voice commands, but it has easy-to-read maps. :) Unfortunately, she'd have to look down to see the map, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is that in the Cup Holder in front?

And that is teh unit that has the XM tuner in it also right? That would work as I could get rid of the XM radio that is in that location....

So there is not Voice Systems for a user to say an address and the unit will plot directions from where they are?

Any have any info on the Garmin Nuvi 360? Is it a a good unit?

My 350 is great and I think the only difference is that the 360 has bluetooth.

I use it daily for my full-time job and it gets me anyplace I'm trying to go. We use it regularly on trips too, taking advantage of the points-of-interest built in.

Chris,

Normal cup holder.

[Broken External Image]:

The unit is hardwired into the vehicle system, and puts out sound through the head unit using an auxiliary converter and the satellite radio button on the radio.

The unit does not have the XM unit inside-inside, but there is a port for a wire that runs to the XM antenna. I have yet to install that, as I want to do a double install with the XM receiver and the GPS antenna. One stupid move by Garmin was to have each have a separate external antenna port...

What Model is that you have? I was reading somewhere that I think its the 7200 has a Bult in XM tuner.

With these units like the 350 or 360 how do you input the destination? Since the screens so small?? Is it all by touch screen?

As for the POI... Does it come with set POI or do I need to input them on my own? if they are already there what kind of things are they?

Cheers

Whit

Chris,

I just got the Garmin C330 (based on positive remarks by members here, I might add) (and the fact that it's on sale everywhere) (early Xmas present - I get to open an empty box). Just installed it last night and took it for a test drive. Probably one of the easiest, most simple tech gadgets I've ever used straight out-of-the-box. And if my tests are any indication, really accurate.

The included windshield mount fits perfectly into the front cup holder (of the high center console). But, I like Adam's setup of mounting it onto the front face of the console tray - I might try that...

I just mounted a GPS radio headunit, pioneer avic-d1 in place of the stock radio. The Z1 has voice activation but is about 2-3X more expensive.

Looks something like this:

How is the D1 you have? I am guessing this is a older unit since I can't find it on Pioneers website...... They have a d2 which I am guessing is the new Model.

Mark,

Couple questions about your D1.

I see that it has a CD slot and a DVD Slot. I am guessing the DVD slot is to run the Navigation DVD. Do you have the ability to get Updates to this DVD ie. New Streets and stuff like that? how do you go about this?

Also are you using the XM part of the radio? I am a XM subscriber and after doing alittl reading I am thinking this might be the unit that will work best in the TRAC.

Does the unit fit perfect and look good in the truck? Anyway I can get a picture of your Dash??

Cheers

Whit

I have not seen or heard of any voice controled GPS systems. I think it's always assumed that you put the destination address in prior to starting to drive.

I have a Garmin iQue-3600 which is a Palm PDA with a flip-out satilite antena and integrated GPS system. As a PDA you can load and store peoples names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses. The system is interfaced to the other software so if you have an address in you address book, you can have the system locate that address and mark it.

When you get ready to drive to that address, you put the GPS/PDA into the dash mount and select that person/place from your address book, push a button to plan a route and in a few seconds it will start instructing you, turn by turn how to get there. It also displays the map on the screen and zoomed in detailed maps at every turning point.

I have had mine for about 3.5 years and love it. It's a great multi-tasker and is totally portable. You can have the GPS map out your trip from your last known GPS coordinates while seated comfortably at your desk, on your sofa or easy chair. When your are ready to leave, plop it in the dash mount, select your predefined destination and tap the route-to button and you are on your way. With the voice instructions, you never really need to look at the screen.

...Rich

Mark,

How long have you had this installed?? Couple more questions for you about it as I have been doing some readin online....

Wondering if you have had any of these issues and what you think about them or if you found a work around.... As they seem to be a fairly large issue concerning the POI stuff... You should not have to pull over to get access to the POI stuff..

"but why they would not let me pick a POI while driving boggles the mind. On my first trip last week (16 hours of windshield time) I found myself having to pull off the interstate a number of time to stop so I could change a simple option or look up a place to eat or dim the screen as it got dark (that bright screen became a safety issue)."

Would love to hear your views on this as you have the same system..

Cheers

Whit

Mark,

Couple questions about your D1.

I see that it has a CD slot and a DVD Slot. I am guessing the DVD slot is to run the Navigation DVD. Do you have the ability to get Updates to this DVD ie. New Streets and stuff like that? how do you go about this?

Also are you using the XM part of the radio? I am a XM subscriber and after doing alittl reading I am thinking this might be the unit that will work best in the TRAC.

Does the unit fit perfect and look good in the truck? Anyway I can get a picture of your Dash??

Cheers

Whit

I have a Dual DVD Nav system Eclipse 6600.

1 DVD for Full set of Maps. No swapping CD or DVD

1 DVd for watching DVDs Listening to CDs or MP3 CDs

[Broken External Image]:

I even got a back up camera hooked up.

There are add ons for SAT Radio, TV and Other stuff.

Loving the look of that.... Nice unit... Do you have any issues with POI's like the question above?

What Eclipse model is that? Do y ou find it very bright at night when you are driving, maybe alittle distracting because of the brightness? Can you Dim the screen and how hard is it to Dim on a regular basis?

Cheers

Whit

Do you have any issues with POI's like the question above?

What Eclipse model is that? Do y ou find it very bright at night when you are driving, maybe alittle distracting because of the brightness? Can you Dim the screen and how hard is it to Dim on a regular basis?

Cheers

Whit

Thanks. Only issue I have with it is no Mute wire for the Bluetooth unit I installed.

Model is AVN 6600. As far as brightness at night. there are display controls for That. and the Map itself senses the lights being on and mkakes the screen like a negitive. turns the map black with blue and white roads. Can take pics if you want to see.

Easy to dim. also I can set it not to swap to night for driving during Dusk. just a few buttons to get it that way.

I have not had a issue with POI's but I have been known to drive and do a few other things at the same time. As soon as I learned all the buttons It was not hard to select and deselect soft buttons on the screen. (It is an issue if a cop sees you using it when you drive.)

there are many DVD Nav units out there. I know a lot of people her have Pioneer, and other units.. they all have good points and all have bad points. all depends on what you need and want. in a unit.

Not easy to install everything. (if you never did it before I would leave it to a Pro.) but the basic unit with a wiring harness is not to hard to install. Hardest part was modifying the Radio Bezel and running the Wire for the Camera and backup wire.

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
You should not have to pull over to get access to the POI stuff..

"but why they would not let me pick a POI while driving boggles the mind. On my first trip last week (16 hours of windshield time) I found myself having to pull off the interstate a number of time to stop so I could change a simple option or look up a place to eat or dim the screen as it got dark (that bright screen became a safety issue)."

My nuvi 350 has an option to have it not programable while moving or not. I have mine so I can change it while moving. Mine works very well with one exception. I drove to Okeechobee Florida last week from Kentucky. The GPS worked very well except it would not find my friends house in Okeechobee. They remapped the city several years ago and my GPS was useless while there. Maybe the next update will fix this.