GPS Questions?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sal,

I really dig that unit. That's high on the list of things I'd like to take care of this summer - sell the Garmin, and replace with an in-dash unit.

Hi Chris. The D1 is in my GF's truck. She'll be over in about an hour at which point I'll take a picture and repost.

Ok, now to your questions. The D1 was the 05 model, the D2 is the 06 model. The D3 is coming out in March 07. Yes, there are 2 slots, one for the map DVD, the other for audio/mp3 CD. You can get updates from Pioneer, or you can buy them cheap on ebay... (most of the ebay DVDs are burned copies, but they work) Or you can contact me for the 06 disc. ;-) Anyway, the difference between the D1 & D2 is pure software. Once you load the 06 software on the D1, it's 100% identical to the D2. The 06 software has map and POI updates over the 05.

My GF, Katie, has it in her Trac for about 3 weeks and loves it. In response to needing to pull over for POI searches, there is a work around. Do a web search for (avic bypass) and you'll see the easy workaround for this. The workaround fools the car into thinking it's pulled over at all times allowing her to use all the nav features while in motion.

The D1's are rock solid and can be found cheap on ebay. I just picked another one up, with the XM module. I think I'll install it in my mom's Toyota.

Installation will take some time, and you will need to dremel the lip edges of the dash trim. Specifically the inside of the radio opening... you'll see the lip once you remove your radio. You can't see it with the radio installed as it's behind the faceplate of the radio.

You'll also get other benefits with an aftermarket unit. Your overall stereo will sound better due to the added power and clarity. Her XM menus look great and display title/artist/category/channel info at all times on the large screen. I'll take some pics of this as well.

I also like the memo button on the D1. If you hear a song playing that you like, you hold down the memo key for a couple seconds to bookmark it. Next time it plays, no matter what source you're listening to (i.e. CD/radio, etc..), you'll see a popup telling you the memo'd song is playing and ask you if you want to switch to it.

I like this Pioneer unit much better than the Alpine IVA-D310 setup I have in my Honda Pilot. And it's much cheaper!!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Mark

The pioneer avic-z1 has voice recognition. pretty sure you can do alot of its functions by voice. I have it but do not use the voice all that much. Mainly for the bluetooth phone I use voice. It is expensive and installing it in an '04 isn't that east since its double din.

Mark,

Thanks... That looks sweet.... Pretty much made up my mind... With the XM interface it works out great for us.... I am going to go looking for one after Xmas...

Great pics and guys thanks for all the help on this.... Will keep everyone posted on status and make sure I post pictures!

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Whit

There's some good deals on ebay if you're patient and an esnipe user. I just picked up another one for $520 w/ the XM module. Not sure what to do with it, I may put it in mom's Toyota.

Ummmm "an esnipe user" What?

Also if you want to sell it let me know.... That is what I am looking for... Same unit with the XM Mod.

Cheers

Whit

Anyone have any idea if this would work with the 04 Tracs?

I know with the Cruise Controls on the Steering wheel it might not work... Wondering if there is room to fit it in??

CD-SR11

[Broken External Image]:

Cheers

Whit

Nobody has tried this remote Add'on?? or do we know it won't work on the steering wheel on the Trac because of the Cruise Switches.

Cheers

Whit

Check out esnipe.com It's a service which bids for you seconds before the auction ends. It's of value since it doesn't give another bidder time to react to your last second bid. The bids are also placed on esnipe's server, so your PC can be off.

I also added the CD-SR11 to the girlfriend's steering wheel. First I placed it above the cruise controls, but it was an unnatural reach and looked awkward. Thus I moved it over next to the cruise controls. There's some overlap, but it looks better and is within thumb's reach. You can still use the cruise controls, but you'll have to use your index finger, instead of your thumb. It's really not a bad setup. Plus you're more likely to use the audio control rather than cruise. GF comes by tonight and I'll try to sneak a picture of the remote to give you an idea. I highly recommend it!

-Mark

Mark,

Thanks and I look forward to the Picture.... I actually won a bid on the Remote today... So I am starting backwards but the price was to good to pass up...

Hopefully between now and New Years I will have gotten the D1 and XM Mod!

Cheers

Whit