Gravel dings up paint and windshield! RAWR!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Stanton

Reaction score
Driving back to work after lunch on a highway, I was about 4-5 car lengths behind a semi with a dumptruck trailer when he hit a bump. A huge cloud of red dirt and gravel appeared ahead of me as it fell off the lip of the trailer and hit the ground. I tried to swerve out of the way but ended up going through the middle of it.

When I got back here to work I discovered dings and a small crack in my windshield, and at least a few paint chips out of my hood and front grill. I can't tell exactly how bad it is yet as the ST is dirty (pollen + rain + black ST = icky lookin' vehicle), but the few dings I can see obviously chipped the paint.

Can anyone give me an idea of what it'll run to get this repaired? I JUST had the windshield replaced (at my own expense) 2 WEEKS AGO, so I know what that'll run. But what about the body work... will they have to repaint the entire hood, for example, to fix a few little divots?

Bahb, you have a 2005, so I assume you have comprehensive insurance. In most states, comprehensive insurance includes no-deductible glass coverage.

Is that different in Tenn?

TJR

I have no idea, personally, but I assume I'll find out soon. And yes, I have comp. I'm mostly curious about how the dings in the finish will get repaired.

Those dings can get paid through your comp insurance as well, but for those, I am sure a deductible will apply and your premium might go up.

I was wondering if you really had to replace the windshield prior at your own expense?

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's impossible in some cases, but I stay the heck away from dump trucks. I've been known to hit 90mph on the turnpike trying to get around one of those maniac dump truck drivers. Most are a menace to society!

I probably didn't have to pay for it myself, Tom, but then I'm not even sure if I do have no-deductible glass coverage... and then, if I did, I doubt they'd have been too happy to pay it twice in as many weeks...

I would check your coverage, Bahb... in most states its a law that glass is covered without a deductible. Regardless of whether or not your insurance company would be "happy", you might be entitled to it replaced, for free.

TJR

Bahb, I had to have the windshield replaced in my previous vehicle here in PA and it was a $50 deductable and it didn't do anything to my rates. It was considered an "act of God". I told them that I didn't know God drove a red cavalier. (some lady passed me at the beginning of spring and threw a piece of the great Pa "anti-skid" into the windshield) Check with your Insurance. The windshield will probably be covered. The hood would be a whole other can-of-worms. Probably will cost you to try to claim it. (deductable and rate increase) Maybe not though, could always check.;)

Bahb,

Speaking from experience, I have had that type of thing happen to me with cement trucks.

I have called the company that was on the truck and reported it. Everytime they have payed...

Do you know the name of the trucking company? also remember the time , date , and location the incident happened.

I hope it works out for you, but in the future, remember to try and have the driver pull over and get as much information as possable from him or write down the company information on the truck, get the licence plate # and date & time.

It is at least worth the try so you don't have to pay out of your own pocket!!!!

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Chris, wow, you got really lucky. Around Pa here, if you even GET the guy to pull over, they just say "prove it came off my truck". My dad literally had a chunk of coal fall out of the back of a truck and get STUCK in a fist sized hole in his windshield. He got the guy to pull over and the guy said "no way that came off my truck" when my dad handed him the piece of coal. He was driving a coal truck. Not much you can do about it. Most insurance companies won't even press the matter, since it's still hard and time consuming to prove. That is why most of the deductibles are low or nonexistant and not count against you.;)

Chris, the stink of this situation is that the truck actually had the name of the company blocked off on both sides with duct tape. All I could make out was where the company is based (Holly Springs, MS). Thankfully, I had a passenger, and he got the licence plate # off the trailer, the time and location, etc. all written down. I didn't try to pull the truck over (figuring that for a losing battle, really). All I can really do is give that to the ins. company and hope they can track it down.

Bahb, you have a 2005, so I assume you have comprehensive insurance. In most states, comprehensive insurance includes no-deductible glass coverage.

Is that different in Tenn?

$0 deductible on glass is not mandated in TN, so it is subject to whatever decutible you have on comp.

If it's just a small ding get it repaired before it gets worse. Most insurance companies will wave the deductible and pay for repair of the chip. Call some place like Safelite. Thats who recently did mine. Did not cost me a thing and the ding is barely noticeable.

Right, yes, I know about the windshield guys. :) I'm getting it replaced.

Can anyone tell me how they repair small dings in the paint? Will they have to repaint the entire hood, for example, for 2-3 tiny chips? Or can they spot-fix them somehow, and if so, how well does that turn out and hold up?

Bahb,

I like www.autovisuals.com for small scratches and chips. Get the paint codes off the sticker on the inside of your driver's side front door, go to their website and buy a custom paint pen for around $20. It will match exactly and you can dab it in the hole, then wax and if done right be very hard to see.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts