Great day at the ford service...sic

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raser x

Reaction score
Well I finally took the wifes Trac in for some service/TSB work.

The issues we were dealing with were as follows.

1.Drivers door weather stripping worn from faulty seatbelt retractor.

2.Passenger side window weatherstripping pealing up.

3.Low speed thumping from right front tire.

4.Highway speed humming from under carraige.

5. Steering shudder while backing slowly.

6.Cold weather sound from alternator.

7.eratic trans shifting with flare 2nd to 3rd.

8. Whining sound coming from drivers seat...no wait thats the wife....lol.

I provided copies of all TSB's to the service manager when I dropped off the Trac.

They fixed the seatbelt and weather stripping. Said they couldn't duplicate any of the other problems. I can see the cold weather noise but there is still a bulletin out. They told me that 70 MPH was really too fast to be driving around here. They also said they couldn't duplicate the low speed thumping....

They also questioned me quite extensively about wether or not I had servied my trans myself or at a local shop. After I explained that the last dealer repaired the trans three times before it quite leaking they informed me that the other dealer had done a faulty repair job. They forgot to put the magnet in the pan and ford would not cover the repair (the other dealer has to pay for it). I asked if they had voided my trans warranty. Since it had been driven 12000 miles without the magnet and what about the longevity of my trans? They said it should be an issue...I said SHOULDN'T?

Anyway, I took the service manager for a ride to point out the thumping. Then he said oh thats the tires. I said I know hence the TSB on irregular tire wear. He said he would get back to me monday and see if ford would replace them. They also tried to say my magnaflow exhaust was part of the noise I heard. I said no its not because it made the noise before I put the exhaust on. The steering still shudders now only intermitantly(i.e.they didn't replace the pump)

Soooo...How much notation should I get on the faulty trans repair? Obviously there is an issue. This is supoosedly the second time the shifting selonoid has been changed and they obviously wanted to pin it on ...

Any help Guys and Gals? :(

Sorry to hear the sucky experience. I wish all dealerships would stand behind their products to improve owner and brand loyalty (and to an extent, dealership loyalty). I've limited my visits to the dealerships for issues I cannot work on myself. Other minor things, I just keep to myself even though it's still under warranty. The dealer always says they can't duplicate this or that and or my aftermarket stuff is the culprit. I can call their bluff but I'm not gonna sweat the small stuff. Besides, I really prefer doing the work myself.

It may not be immediately profitable for dealerships to perform warranty work and what not, but it would sure encourage me to go back to them for work beyond warranty. I do believe in the "you scratch my back and I scratch yours" theory, not the "serve me for cheap" one.

I've yet to find a Ford Dealership that has a good service dept. It's too bad they don't do a better job of service the customer after the sale. I bet you wouldn't buy another vehicle from this dealership. Hence, yet another reason Ford is losing money. I refuse to take my two Fords to another dealership and one is still under warranty. That is how poor the all the dealers are in the Seattle Metro area. I've had better luck taking them to my local speed shop to fix issues.

As far as them saying 70 MPH is to fast to drive around here,I don't know where your located but if your speed limit is 65 on highways I'm sure your friendly service manager has reached 70 MPH more than once.

Tell them that you were visiting West Virginia University and the speed limit on I81 is 75,so actually you were under the speed limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey markr...Thats exactly what I told them. I go to West Virginia a couple times a year to visit Family.

Pimp,

Follow the NHTSA link on the main page of MySporttrac.com

This is the link.