Gurgling on acceleration.....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather Kudela

Reaction score
Hi all- I have just noticed that there is a faint gurgling sound on acceleration in my 01' ST. I am wondering if this is the infamous "vacuum leak"? It's only on acceleration when I take my foot off the pedal it goes away. Any input is appreciated! Thanks guys- Heather

Gurgle, like the sound of water?

If so, I would have to think your hearing something passing thru your heater core. Can not imagine you'd be able to hear it anywhere else.

Check the fluid level and go from there..

Not like water, it's definitely air but gurgling is the only way that I can describe the sound, like air is trying to get through but something is flapping around or something. I know this sounds strange but it's the only way I can put it!

I also have an '01. For the longest time I thought I was hearing the timing chain problem, but I would describe it the same way. Air gurgling. Any help would be appreciated.

Heather, actually that kinda sounds like the infamous timing chain rattle-is it between 2k and 3k rpms? and if u go higher its drowned out by the engine right?? its either that which is more common or it could be valve clatter, either way- i have the timing chain rattle and when i run 89, theres no more rattle...try upping to 89 octane for a while and see if it goes away. mine has rattled (gurgled) for the past 50k, so i dont think its a problem.

Good luck

andy

Well, there is only a limited number of items I would think.

Take the cover off your filter and inspect the area to see if there is something over the hole, (right behind the headlamp).

Look at the filter to make sure it is in good shape, nothing flapping around.

Inspect the tube from the filter box to the Throttle body, ensure there is nothing in there.

If you find nothing, drive without your air filter and see if it is still there. If so, you know where the problem is NOT.

If not,then your after either a filter or an issue with the filter box.

I agree with Coastie - inspect your intake path first . Make sure the filter is good and all of the connections are tight. You haven't removed the airbox silencer, have you?

The timing chain rattle can be pretty loud, it was in my 01. It doesn't really sound like gurgling though, it really sounds like a rattle and is often mistaken for pinging. My 04 makes a little noise in the 2k-3k rpm range.

Heather.....mmmm, could it be the quality of the gasoline that you are using? I am definitely not saying that is is, just that on ocassions I hear what sounds like that "gurgling sound", but thought that it sounded like weak gasoline as I accelerated. The other things mentioned here as the cause may very well be the case, I just thought that I would put this scenario in there too! LOL!:eek:

bpoche,

there are, however, traditionally, vacuum lines will squeal due to the size of the hose. Almost whistle.

It will change based on the engine RPM due to volume. I have never heard of a swishing or gurgling sound from a vacuum hose issue.

Heather,

Interpreting other peoples descriptions of sounds is kind of like herding cats.

A gurgling sound is usually associated with a moving liquid. If the noise sounds like air flapping, would you say it's more like a fluttering sound?

If it is a fluttering sound, it would probably be larger than the infamous split vacuum hose. If you could hear it would make more of a slight whistle or like a faint wind noise.

One thing that definitely makes a fluttering sound is an exhaust leak.

It could also be some thin piece of plastic rattleing, etc. You might want to check your antenna or an external cell phone antenna if you have one.

If the sound is more like a rattling sound like marbles bouncing around in the engine, you either have the infamous Timing chain rattle or you are getting spark knock (also called dentonation or preignition) caused by using fuel with too low of an octain rating. However 87 octane is about a low as you can go in most parts of the country. It is also possible that your engine has built up carbon which can increase the compression or get hot enough to glow and ignite the fuel/air mixture before the spark plug fires.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh! Is there anyone is the WNY area who would be willing to check this out for me because I have no idea what I am doing?? You'd really have to hear the sound for yourself....Anyone who can help........

Hey Heather, if you want to stop by after work sometime I can take a listen to it. You drive right by, if you know where the old Nike base on Millersport is.

Heather, just for the heck of it, change the heat controls to something you normally do not use. See if the noise is there or if it changes.

It may be a duct flap not in the correct position. I just had this issue with my wifes Explorer. In fact, Ford replaced the entire unit, no charge to me as the door in the duct had broken and was flapping around.

Lots of air noise as well as the ambient air coming right into the vehicle and we could not stop it from coming in.

If it is nice out, you may not notice the extra air. It was easy to figure out when it was 10 degrees outside. It was also 10 degrees inside... LOL

Heather,

Coastiejoe makes a good point. If you had your coolant changed lately, or if you coolant resevoir is empty, it may have got air into your coolant system. That may cause the gurgling sound.

His idea of a possible heater/AC door flapping is also a good suggestion. And along the same lines, If you have a habit of putting things on top of the dash, something may have fallen down the defroster ducts and is the cause of the noise. I would try shutting off you fan and Heater/AC unit and see if the sound goes away.

...Rich

I am a bit of a drive... :(:( LOL

If your ever out to the island let me know..

Todd Z

Dang it. There are too many Todds around here.

Heather - How's early next week sound? I've got a research proposal due Monday afternoon so things are a little busy at the moment (although not too busy to visit MySt I guess).

Heather, i dont really know much about it, but i could drive up there and see if it sounds like my timing chain rattle...at least if we didnt figure it out, itd b a good time to meet another wny trac owner! lol

Lemme know

Andy