Had an offer...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blksn8k

Reaction score
This is a little strange. I placed an ad on craigslist for the original tires from the Trac. I received several messages from someone who could barely type a comprehensible sentence. Obviously didn't know the English language very well. He was offering to pay for the tires with a "certified check". I told him I would only accept a US Postal money order. He seemed to accept that and wanted my name and address. Something tells me I should ignore this one...:rolleyes:

a certified check is from a bank.... IT is easer to make fake ones.... Go with the postal money order, those you can cash with the guy at the local post office before you hand over the tires...

Todd Z

I understand all that Todd. That's why I stipulated the money order. Now I just don't think I want this guy to know my name and address. I guess you would have to read the messages to understand my concern. He may be perfectly legit but I seriously doubt it. Its a shame so many people try to pull these scams that you can't trust anyone anymore.

Most likely a scam. I was selling a boat on line and received two similar offers in one day. They were well written but obviously scams. I reported both to the company (BoatUS) that the listing was with.

Roger,

How much trouble (or expense) would it be to set up a P.O. Box? That way, he doesn't know your home address.

blksn8k:

When in doubt...don't!

I may miss some sales with this philosophy but I'm sure I miss a lot of heartache. There are a lot of bogus payments scams out there so I'm real leary.

I also have only used a P.O. Box for the last 8 years. Got a little nervous after selling UZI accessories on Ebay to a chinese named gentleman that appeared to have a bad understanding of the English language. I got a little nervious about everyone knowing my address and thinking I might have a small arsenal...which I don't!

Also, my banker even told me that scammers are using bogus USPS Money orders so she calls some number thay have before she cashes it and verify's that it is legit! Nothing is better than good ole American dollars but, even then, you have to be sure it's not funny money.

Some bidders on Ebay get a little upset at all of my "terms" in the description but that's the only way to try to weed out the few bad apples in the basket.

Good luck,

Gary
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Set up to meet him somewhere that is not your house. Preferably near a bank where you can verifty funds before making the full transaction.

At that point, he has to drive there as well and should have a license plate number you can copy down as well.

JT#14

Latest posts