Hard Staring Problem won't go away -advice?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
2003 Sport Trac 2WD wtih 53,000 miles.

About 6 months ago truck began hard starting. Several cranks to start up whether it is cold or warm - same time. Vehicle always started up instantly before this.

I have cleaned engine compartment, cleaned K & N Filter, cleaned throttle body, cleaned IAC, (last time cleaning K & N Filter fixed the problem. This time it didn't help at all.)

I than put in 6 Denso Iridium Plugs, new set of 8mm Denso wires, new serpentine belt, changed oil and filter (synthetic and KN filter). I tried to replace the fuel filter (has 14,250 miles on it right now) but after several tools and 4 hours later I gave up. The front end with the metal clip would NOT come off. Two plastic clips at rear end - no problem - I had to give up. I pushed and pushed - would not release. Last time took about an hour - why is this so difficult - standard 5/16" tool right?

Anyways - the truck runs great - gets 18mph - best improvement came from new Wires oddly enough - took away the missing a beat at idle it had. I also tried the turning the key on and off for fuel pump pressure - no difference. I also have tried starting with gas pedal down to open the throttle body - no difference. No check engine lights. Strong battery and starter. Accelerates and performs great. Just doesn't start.

Assuming the fuel filter is not a problem what else can I do? Cleaning PCV valve help?

To me, all your signs are pointing to either the filter, or a weak fuel pump. It really sounds like it is taking a while for the fuel to get to the engine at start-up. It could also be you have a leak somewhere. My Toyota did the same thing and it was a leak in the fuel line. The fuel pressure would bleed off when it sat and it would have to pump fuel back into the line to start.;)

Early Sport Tracs were notorious for having a leaking fuel pump (in the tank). The leak would drop the fuel pressure after sitting a while. The longer the engine sat, the longer it would take to build fuel pressure and start. To add to the problem, the computer would shut down the fuel pump if the engine did not start in 10-15 seconds after turning on the key.

The easiest way to test for the leaking fuel pump is to turn on the key, but don't start the engine. Leave the key on for about 15 seconds, turn the key off, and then try to start the engine. Turning the key on allows the fuel pump to build pressure without cranking the engine. After the fuel system is primed and pressurized kyou shut the key off to reset the computer and then it should start right up as soon as you start to crank the engine.

If this starting technique solves your problem, you need to replace the fuel pump. To do that you will need to wait till your fuel tank is nearly empty, drop the tank and remove and replace the fuel pump through the access cover in the top of the tank.

...Rich

I had a similar problem on my 04 back around 30K miles (?). Sometimes the engine wouldn't turn over right away, and I had to hold the key in the 'on' position for a couple of seconds to start it.

First thing I did was clean the IAC. That didn't do it. I then replaced the fuel-filter and that wasn't the problem. I took her to the dealership for warranty work and they replaced the IAC completely which didn't solve the problem. After my return visit they did 'something' and according to the service invoice "adjusted hard stop from 0%-55% to 35%-45%." I have no idea what this means but my Trac's been starting perfectly ever since!

I have an aftermarket intake and exhaust and at the time using an XCal performance tune regularly. I have no idea what made the starting act up.

not that you need to with only 15,000 miles on the filter, but to get the filter off mine i put the tool in held the fuel line carefully with channel locks (so it wont spin) and twist the filter off, just make sure your tool stays engaged

Hard Starting Update - I will try the key pressure thing again. Fuel pump could be the problem - its just a big project for a "what if" you know. A couple of other things I did was SeaFoam the engine - no change and pulled the connector for the brains in the engine compartment - cleaned everything and put back together making sure it was tight and secure - no change again.

I am also going to pull the K & N filter off and leave no restrictions for just a start and see if thats make a difference so I can definitely rule out a clogged filter that I cleaned and oiled twice.

Not sure what a "Hard Start" item would be - but I'd adjust if I knew what to do.

thanks - David

Here is a quote from everything2.com:

(4) The engine is hard to start when cold.

As discussed in (1) the battery may be discharged.

A problem in the fuel or electrical systems may need to be checked.

The carburetor may need overhauling.

There may be a damaged distributor rotor, or covered with carbon tracking.

The choke control may be stuck or not working.

(5) The engine is difficult to start when hot.

The air filter could be clogged.

There may be a problem with the fuel or electrical systems.

The carburetor or fuel injection systems may be starved for gasoline. (Especially if one hears all systems crying, "Feed Me!") Perhaps a vapor lock.

Seems like you have everything covered here is the post.;)

You say you cleaned your K&N air filter, twice. If you over oiled it, you might have dirtied the mass air sensor. Look in projects for cleaning instructions.

Try holding the throttle 1/4 open when you crank it.....

Todd Z

I had the same hard starting problem and it was the fuel pump. 2001 ST 2WD 52,000 miles.

If you do it yourshelf beware thier are 3 different pumps and you cannot tell which one it is until it is removed. Advanced Auto had all three in stock with the highest price one being $123.00. The job took 1.5 using a tranny jack.

David,

I have an 03 with 43K miles that was doing the exact same thing. I clean the battery terminals and it was temporary however the hard start came back. I drop into the dealer and describe my problem. The mechanic did the same steps Richard L did right in front of me. We looked at each other and said fuel pump at the same time. Turns out the parts were in stock and cost me $168. Waited about an hour and a half. Baada bing baada boom - problem solved.

PS. I have a KN FIPK running synthetic oil and a motorcraft filter. The dealer recommended I clean the IAC, which is simple and preformed previously before heading to the dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its me again - holding throttle down 1/4 does nothing. Slow to start whether its cold or hot - about the same. Problem now is putting in the key to ON for 15 seconds a few times and turning on / off to reset computer - I really didn't notice that building up fuel pressure helped - still seemed to be a hard start. Maybe its just that leaky? Changing fuel pump is a bit of a project and I'd hate to do it if that was not the problem. Sounds like this year has a history of this. Truck runs great but needs several cranks a a few seconds before it starts - it used to be like a 1/2 crank type of truck. What to do - what to do. Previous post had replacement at $168 - I find it hard to believe a dealer would charge so little? Seems reasonable. I'll clean the battery terminals and clean the mass air flow sensor - see if that helps?

Why have a dealer do it? Go to a local shop and not get charged the $50-infinity/hour charge the dealers give you. Most places can do it pretty quick since the tank isn't hard to get at. I had one changed out on my Toy and it was $150 and they were done in 1 1/2 hours. Just a thought.;)

Well - before I changed out the fuel pump I decided to invest $62 at WalMart in a 700 AMP EVERSTART Battery. Problem fixed - starts like a champ again. Besides all the tune up stuff I did - did make the truck run great - get a stead 18.1 or so driving around town for MPG. New Battery definitely put new life into the start up process so I will wait on the fuel pump for now.

Old battery was the Motocraft 650 AMP - it did appear like the green ball in the inspection hole was missing but truck was working fine - just started a bit slow. New battery fixed that problem quick - I think it like the extra 50 amps also - I'm so pleased I gave it a good clay bay / Zaino polish - looks good now too. Thanks for everyones advice. This thread concluded.:D