Hardware

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Neimeyer

Reaction score
Both my interior rear door handles quit working within a month of each other (and it's not the child safety latches). The tail gate handle is also getting harder to use, more force is needed to open it.

Anybody else have these problems or any solutions?

Mine is a 2001

Don't know about the doors, but on the tailgate, take off the black plastic panel and make sure the nuts on the back of the handle are tight. Mine was getting harder to open, so I tightened everything up and it's good to go, works like new.

Common problem with the early generation ST's about the rear handles not working properly or not at all at times. Do a search under projects and under messages. It's an easy fix, parts cost about $15 bucks.

Bob N., Check the link. There's usually replacement handles on ebay. Also, there's a link in the link showing how to change that part.

If you're ripping apart the tailgate anyways, you might want to check out the automated lock/unlock project. Cost me about $25.00 in parts and I love the convenience of being able to lock/unlock my tailgate without needing to use the keys.

THANKS to all who contributed useful feedback!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So many times you get the "I've got that problem too" respone....USELESS!

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!