Has anyone thought of this?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was watching (I think it was) Trucks TV this morning and they gave an explaination of the 3 types of injection; throttle body, multi-port, and one used mainly for racing applications. My question is would it be possible or worth it to convert our Throttle Body injected ST's to Multi-Post injection for better response? I know anything is possible given enough money and time, but . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Our Tracs are multi-port injection, not throttle body. Throtle body injection has one or two fuel injectors mounted in the throttle body. Our tracs have 6 injectors. One at each cylinder port, down stream of the throttle body...

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodger,,, they dont need replacing, unless they go bad. They usually last the life of the vehicle. There are higher qaulity racing injectors that meter the fuel more precisely. Not needed for our service though. They can be real expensive for racing service.

Afew years ago I had to replace the Throttle body injector on a dodge we owned. Cost me $190, doing the work myself..

Running top tier gas and techron injector cleaner every 5k usually is enough. Sometimes on high milage it may help to have them profesionally cleaned.

One of my uncles', retired from chevron texaco R&D. He told me not to run the same brand of fuel all the time. He said to change on every 3rd or 4th fillup. His research reasoning is that, the detergents in the fuel itself can make its own deposits, and another brands formulation will clean it up.

He also said the best oil they tested was redline. He retired before royal purple became popular.

What was the third, 'racing' method discussed? Was it "direct injection"? Several car companies are now producing road engines that feature this...Audi and I think Mitsubishi, probably BMW and Benz now as well.

Tiger, I didn't pay to much attentioin to the 3rd type of injection because I did not feel that it was not something that I needed. It might have been "direct injection", but I thought they called it by something that started with an "h". I did a search and the show was Horsepower TV not Trucks TV.

Rodger,

Few, if any, cars today run throttle body injection. When fuel injection first came into the market widespread, throttle body injection was the route they first went. Many of the 1980's GM trucks used throttle body injection. The reason was that it was cheaper to design and build because, as others said, it was essentially a carburetor without the jets and one or two large injectors in its place. It was also a proven technology. My brother has a 1990 Chevy C3500 with a 454. It has the CFI set-up. When GM started building the "Vortec" series engines is when they went with the Multi-Port fuel injection.

As early as the 1980's, Ford was building Multi-Port injection in most of their engines. IIRC, the first year for the Multi-Port injection in the 460 was 1987.

Direct injection was first started, as far as I know, in diesel engines. From what I have read, direct injection gaasoline engines are on their way, but as of right now, it hasn't been perfected yet.

Tom

Several cars curently sold have direct injection gasoline motors (the BMW 7-series is an example, as well as the Rolls-Royce Phatom)....but alas, nothing is truly perfected until it is outdated an uneeded.

wwashing,

Tell us about multi-point fuel injection. I know it is a type-o from Rodger in his original post.

Tom