Hauling Mulch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Tollison 3

Reaction score
I am going to be doing some landscaping when I get off work in the morning and was wondering has anyone hauled any mulch in their ST and if so how did it handle with the weight? Also, How much mulch can the bed hold?

I think it is just over 1 yard... The st bed is rated for 1500 lbs..

Todd Z

I've hauled mulch in my ST every summer. I fill the bed up completely and then close the tonneau cover. No problems at all.

I've packed it as high as the roof with mulch (well, my dad has, I'm not so picky about my yard), no prob.

She will hold a good yard with the tailgate down and bed extender extended. I use a heavy tarp draped over the bed extender to keep the mulch in...

[Broken External Image]:

The bed is just about a yard. I hauled a yard of topsoil at a weight of about 2300 LBS.

I do have airbags in the back of my Trac to handle the extra weight I subject it to.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Tom

He installed air bags to level up when hauling heavy stuff.

well thats what I think... BTW Tom, you do have a nice looking ride.

I have Airlift helper airbags. Just add up to 100 LBS of air into each bag and you can hold an aditional 1000 LBS.

It was not designed to increase your hauling capacity, it was designed to help keep the rear end from sagging.

In abuse my vehicles.

Tom

Hauled a couple of loads last summer. No problem at all since yard of mulch is about 600 - 700 lbs. Didn't affect acceleration or stopping. The extra weight though makes the ride much nicer if you have some good, aftermarket shocks. Felt more like a heavy sedan than the truck that it is.

I take a great big tarp (2x bigger than the length of the bed - like 10ft) and put that in the bed, with the fold toward the cab. After filling it, I flip the tarp over and bungee it down. Then when I empty the mulch out, and the bed is about 1/2 full, I can pull the tarp with the mulch on it out of the bed and onto the ground. Keeps the bed nice and clean.[Broken External Image]:

I must have something wrong with my Trac. I had a yard of mulch dumped in and it was riding on the bump stops. The loader had about the same amount of mulch as in the above pictures. The truck is stock, what can I do to improve the load capacity without sacraficing ride quality too much?

thanks,

Marc

Marc,

Getting the airbags will help tremendusly. Add air when you want to haul something heavy. When you are done, let the air out to 5 PSI and you never know they are there.

Here is a picture what the bags look like.

[Broken External Image]:

Tom

I told the guy that loaded my ST to put what he thought it would hold. My mistake in doing that, he ended up putting 2 yards in the back and somthing was scrubbing my pipes every time i ran over a small bump in the road. I hope nothing is messed up. I got some pics but I need to download them.