Head gasket or something else

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After I changed my oil the other day, I noticed that there was a little neon green in the dirty oil. I also had to top off the coolant (1/2 quart). My Trac is a 2002 with 117k on it. Am I correct in thinking this is probably a bad head gasket? Can it be anything else?

The Trac runs fine, but I have noticed that my mileage isn't as good as it used to be. I'm getting about 15-16 when I usually average 17-18. I just thought it was a cold weather.

If I have to bring it in for a head gasket, are there other parts I should ask the garage to premptively replace since the truck is getting up there in age since it will be apart? (water pump, etc.)

Thanks for any advice!

It could a bad intake, bad intake gasket, Cracked, head, cracked block, Could be a bunch of things.

Have it checked before you "tell" the shop what to do, they love when a customer tells them what to do and it is not the correct thing...

When doing a service like that it is good to change the hoses, t-stat, water pump and belts.

Todd Z

Here is something we did on an old Lincoln Town Car. A friend had an older Lincoln Town Car with about 280,000 miles on the clock. She had a water leak. Wasn't positive if it was the head gasket or a cracked head. We put a can of Moroso Ceramic Engine sealer in it. (follow directions and buy the right stuff) No leaks ever since. Sold the car with about 320,000 miles on it.

What ever happened with it after she sold it? We don't know.

Tom

Engine-Repairs-In-A-Can are only temporary if they work at all.

If you have a cracked head or blown head gasket it needs to be replaced, however the problem has not been diagnosed yet. Fuel can contaminate your oil and leave a colorful residue and this can be caused by a defective injector which will also reduce your gas mileage. As Todd said, Lots of suspects for this one.

The easiest and cheapest way is to have your coolant system pressure tested. If it can't hold pressure then there is a leak somewhere. If it holds pressure, you need to look elsewhere.

...Rich

Latest posts