heat and air issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Harrer

Reaction score
In the summer my air works when I'm driving, but when I stop at a light it gets hot. I'm now noticing as the weather gets cold the same is true with my heat. When I'm driving, its hot but when I idle it gets cold. Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Put in in neutral and rev the engine to at least 1500 rpm. It will cool better. Fords are bad about this- not so much a problem in GM or Chrysler.

Aloha Keith, the A/C could be caused by the engine fan not pushing enough air past the condenser. Thus the condenser being too warm to condense anything. The hot air sounds like a blockage with low flow at idle. Is the engine temp normal at idle?

Thanks ed, I actually feel a little stupid I shoulda checked my coolant level before I posted. I put about a gallon in after work today. It seems to have gotten better. Trucks temp is running normal though. Do you have any suggestions as far as the fan for in the summer time? The fluctuating temp is really bothersome.

Keith, As far as I know, the only fix is to replace the fan or the thermostat part of the fan. Check Amazon for the part.

Keith, Amazon has the part for $89.

Keith, I don't know how to post a link but if you copy and paste this to a new tab, it will get you there. You will have to look at yours and match with what is on the page. Good luck Ed

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=fan+clutch&x=15&y=17

Latest posts