Heat Shield Repair?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kunkle

Reaction score
I noticed a thin 'heat shield' mounted above my muffler that is all pulled back and rattleing against my muffler and it's attached heat shield. It is a thin aluminum material that can be pulled back into place but I don;t have a means to reattach it. It looks like it was 'painted' into the bottom of the car and has a continuous seam/edge. Any one have this issue? I didn't see anything while searching the forum?

It would rattle when I shut my driver's door. It was less pronouced when I closed any of the other doors.

I have pictures I can post later.

Last edited by a moderator:
and if you cant find a big enough clamp, just put two or 3 of them together.....

Todd Z

You can tack weld it back in place or get some thick wire, like the thickness of a clothes hanger, wrap it around the shield and to something above it. Twist the wire together as tight as you can by hand. Then grab the twisted part with good pliers and twist some more. It will snug it into place and not rattle at all...

Pop rivets, maybe..I never noticed how it is attached...

Maybe self tapping sheet metal screws. Short enough as not to go through the floor padding.

Latest posts