Heck of a 3 days

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael White

Reaction score
Just wanted to vent my frustrations and maybe help out those that do these same projects.

Well, the old ST ihas about 151000 on her and is riding like it. So, i decided to get new tires, shocks, rear swaybar links and new front brakes. i purchased some Bridgesone dueler ht 689. But found that they are much quieter, and smoother than the stock Wranglers! But to my dismay, they aren't very good in the snow! So took them back under the TRY for 30 days program. Did some research on Tire Rack and found some Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires that were rated pretty good. Not to mention that the were $83 a piece! Well, they are quieter, smoother, grip the road much better and are way better in snow and ice! Mind you I'm not much of a Firestone fan but the price was right and I thought i would try them! Good choic so far- i'll keep you posted.

So, now on to the brakes. I purchased new rotors, and pads and got an exceptional deal paying only $28 a rotor and $22 for priemium pads. $78 for a front brake job- awesome! Well, i slapped 'em on and bled the lines and went for a test drive! Didn't want to move! Dang it! So, i take 'em off again and closely inspect the whole brake system. Well, after about a half day I notice that the Brake caliper mounting bracket was the culprit! The bolt holes that the caliper mounts to (on the mounting bracket) were rusted in place- not allowing the caliper to move in/out as the are supposed to. So, I order the parts, Meanwhile i had to put the old brakes back on so that i had transportation to work. Part comes in- wrong part- must be for the Job2s! so I take the wrong part back to the store and with the help of the friendly salesman we figure out that the Caliper mounting bracket I needed was the 2001 Ford Exp Sport- not the ST! So took a chance and ordered them! Also, bought some Monroe Reflex shocks since they were on sale %25 off! Later, went home, called the Ford dealer to order the Caliper mounting Bracket(just incase the one from auto store was wrong again) they told me it would be $66 each! Wow! the parts store quoted me only $16 each! So, you gotta know I was praying for the auto parts store ones to be right!

I start with the front shocks- they go on pretty easy- but did have to cut off the top of one. Then I go to the rear shocks! I'm fully expecting these to be a breeze, as i remeber putting on Sensa-tracs 2 years ago. Nope! The bolts that go throught the eyes gave me hell! one side broke off so I had to try and hammer it out. The other side wouldn'y budge! even with two people and a cheater bar! So, i take the trusty dremel and cut it off. Now i have to get the bolt out! After a lot of penetrating oil and hammering I finally was able to unscrew them! Unscrew them- imagine that! Anyways, i get the new shocks out and much to confirm my crappy luck they don't have the eye bolts! Great! So, now i drive 17 miles with no rear shocks to go get the bolts. Get home and the reflex eye is slightly smaller that the sensatracs. Oh am i mad! I drive to a different hardware store this time for fear of blowing up at the salesman and it was closer. Get some that will do and put them on. All done-finally! The rear sway bar links went great! Just as the posted project! Thanks!

Back to the brakes, i finally got the caliper mounting brackets from the auto parts store and yippy, they are the correct ones! So now i can cancel the Ford deallers $66/each brackets! Put alll the breaks on and bled 'em and took for a test drive!

Wow the Reflex shocks are awesome! They definately are the best I've had! The rear sway abr link made a drastic improvement in my turns ( it didn't help before having a link rusted to the link- so the bar was always stressed) It doesn't fell as if you are on the tilt-a-whirl any more and the ST turns much faster/smoother. The brakes- like silk! wow! The tires i think they are the best I have ridden ye

You're welcome for the project. Yes, that sounds just about like me when I try to do ANYTHING around the house. 20 trips to get what I need and to return wrong stuff, for 1 job. Luckily I don't have that luck when working on vehicles. I can get the job done usually without any problems, except for I like to leave my DNA (in the form of big patches of skin from my hands) all over everything when I work on it.;)

As R&G said, you get quick responses on here so use the site as much as you can.

Also, welcome to the brotherhood of the almighty ST.;)

Don't get mad at the guys at the parts store. You have no idea how many different cars we have to deal with each day, and it's not our fault we don't know the ins and outs of EVERY vehicle on the road, like that the ST changed mid 2000. Many times we're left only to what the computer screen tells us, and nothing else. Sounds like you were at Advance Auto, since we're having a sale on Monroe items this month, 25% off :D

Hey thanks Roger and Georgia, Stonemiser and Jeff C. I actually have been a member for about 2 yrs+/- but really just read. I love this site and the people are really helpful, but most of all nice! JeffC- I wasn't bashing on the salesmen- they actually helped me out a ton, just a little frustrated at the product system for not providing everything needed. But hey, know what? It's actually my fault for not checking at the time of purchase and asking questions right then and there. That is one of the things maybe someone can learn from my posting! And you are right- it was Advanced Auto- they are a good store and I am lucky to have them around since the Dealership charges way to much for my pocketbook! Thanks again for the warm welcome and I look forward to reading all your postings!:cool:

Latest posts