Hello from SD!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaderade

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
My name is Kade and I'm from South Dakota. I currently own a 2005 ST XLT with about 196,000 miles that I bought from an old farmer in NE. This is my second ST, my first was a 2010 XLT that unfortunately met with the rear end of an older farmer's beautiful 1978 Ford F-150 when he pulled out in front of me on a highway. I was not necessarily in the market for another ST, but with car prices the way they are I couldn't pass up this truck for $3000. There are some issues, some I've already fixed. The cruise control wasn't working, so I replaced the worn-out cruise control switches on the steering column as well as the oil pressure sensor, and that did the trick. I still need to fix the radio display, replace the door locking switch in the driver's side door, and replace the thermostat housing as the nylon is leaking coolant like a stuck pig. I don't plan on keeping this truck long, as I'm nervous that the engine is going to have the infamous "death rattle" one of these days when I start it up. For now, I change the oil frequently (probably more often than I need to with synthetic) and try to keep it in as good of shape as possible to prevent that from happening. This is really my first car I've had to fix issues with, as I typically stay away from vehicles with over 100,000 miles without having known the prior owner and their care of the vehicle. So it's been a fun learning opportunity to further my knowledge on how to work on vehicles. That being said, I'm happy to be back in the Sport Trac community, and I am excited to embark on some new projects with this truck.

Welcome to the site. Why not just replace the tensioners when you do the t-stat housing? Then you don't have to worry about the death rattle.

I've seen people on here talking about doing this, do you have a good resource I could use as I go through the job? I've not dealt with anything like this before and it seems daunting. I know it's easier to access the tensioners when doing this job since a lot of stuff is out of the way already.

If you can do the T-stat housing you can do the tensioners. It's really that simple.

https://www.google.com/search?q=4.0...BBAhGAriAwQYACBBiAYBkAYI&sclient=gws-wiz-serp
The second video the guy replaces the t-stat housing as well. Everyone has their preferences I would suggest using Ford replacements. (1) is on the left head by the t-stat and (1) is by the rear of the right head. Below, the left head is on the left and the right on the right. You will need a deep socket. Videos should tell you the size.

Screenshot 2023-12-26 131215.png

Perfect, thanks for the help Dave. I'll post on this thread with any updates!

Latest posts