Hellwig vs. EE Sway Bar

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Alias

Reaction score
On a long drive to Yosemite last week, I heard sounds coming from the rear suspension and pulled over to take a look. I discovered the driver-side nut was missing from the sway-bar/tie rod link!

The sway-bar had disconnected from the tie-rod and was rubbing on the threaded link. 80% of the threads are damaged, preventing me from installing the new nut I bought from Ford (hard to find, too!).

Soooo, I'm taking this oppurtunity to replace my stock sway-bar & tie-rods. I'm undecided between the Hellwig and EE sway bars.

The Hellwig includes new tie-rods, but is smaller diameter vs. EE. I know metal-type is just as important as bar diameter, but I've seen quite a few positive reviews of the EE sway bar.

Cripes... decisions, decisions.....

Bob

I have the EE, like many others, and I love it. The truck handles 100% better than it did before, it simply amazing that Ford wouldn't put something this well made on the vehicle in the first place.

I confidently go around corners w/o any body roll.

Go EE, I know there service is great if you have issues, and you can get the new end links from ford or aftermarket....

Todd Z

The EE bar is thicker and of those that have replaced the stock bar 98% of us have the EE bar. Do a search on this topic EE posted why their bar was better in very detail over Hellwig.

Thanks,

SST

Wow, did a search on sway bar topic and what a return! Good information (I love this site!).

I found the following link that helped me understand the "cold bending" vs. "heat treated" processes used by Hellwig and EE's manufacturers, respectively:

http://members.1stconnect.com/anozira/SiteTops/tools/metallurgyFAQ.htm

I'm likely going with EE, but after reading all of the posts and the above link, my only question regarding the EE bar is; what metal is used? From the posts, it doesn't appear to be 4140 Chromoly. Anybody know?

Bob

i jzt put on mine couple weeks ago...and i bought it like a year before.....should have put it in...100 % better than stock...

Bob,

Really, what difference does it make between the EE bar and the Helwig bar? I can call the metal anything I want. I can make something out of the best metal there is, that does not guarentee it will perform the best.

The EE sway bar is awesome. It performs awesome. I know one guy that has a Helwig bar. He mainly got the Helwig bar for two reasons. One was that it was cheaper. The other is he could order it from down the street at Summit Racing.

He is happy with it. I was never able to compare them side by side.

Tom

Iam happy with the EE bar. I think it is a good deal. It has been tried and proven by private party that specializes in the explorer suspension mods..JMO..:D

The parts you are refering to are not "Tie Rods" (as steering component), They are called "Swaybar End Links). The nut coming loose and falling off are common problems with the Sport Trac. I would recommend using some LokTite or some other thread locker when reinstalling the nuts.

...Rich

I would agree with Rich, I had a very irritating noise (sounded like loose change) in the back end for about a month before I finally found it. The nut was a 1/4" from coming off, I tightened and added loktite. No more rattle.

Didn't read all the responses but probably the biggest difference between the two bars is the fact that EE is a site sponsor which helps keep it free. For the difference in price between the two, you'll be helping support the site by going with EE.

Well, gonna spring for the EE bar (pun, intended...heh).

I guess I better order one of the "improved" sway bar end-links.

Thanks for your replies and feedback, gang.

Bob

Latest posts