Help! buying a sprt trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently in the market for a Explorer Sport trac. I do not mind the 4.0 motor and am very familiar with it because the ranger I drive now has one. But what years of ST have the V8? And any advice on things to look for when buying? Thanks and my budgets right around 12,000 if that makes a difference in the advice.

The 2007-2010 had the option of the V8, and honestly I dont think you will pick up a 2nd generation sport trac for 12k. Common issues are the radiator, front wheel bearings, just to name a couple off the top of my head. I hear from others on this site on the generation 1 models the body mounts can be an issue. I am sure more people will chime in. Good luck in your search. Jim

According to my trusty Ford dealer, used Sport Tracs are nearly impossible to find. EBay is the most likely place. He said and I agree that most people are hanging on to these trucks since they fit a need not easily found in others. He said it's really rare they see any trades. When they do come in, they sell in days. He's been looking for one for my brother in law for months now and not a single one has come in to this very large Ford dealer in Northern Virginia. He also said they sell at a premium these days - particularly the Adrenalin (gen2) which makes me happy!

Suggest eBay and be willing to travel. Be aware that Gen2's are pretty much a different vehicle in so many ways. I've had both and the difference is definite. I was surprised when I got my gen2 from the factory without test driving it before ordering. At the time, there was no such thing as an Adrenalin on the lot...you had to educate the dealer and have them order it from the factory as they had no clue. Anyway - $12K is going to be hard even for a Gen1 I think. Gen2's are selling really high values in the $20K+ range when they do sell here.

According to my trusty Ford dealer, used Sport Tracs are nearly impossible to find. EBay is the most likely place. He said and I agree that most people are hanging on to these trucks since they fit a need not easily found in others. He said it's really rare they see any trades. When they do come in, they sell in days. He's been looking for one for my brother in law for months now and not a single one has come in to this very large Ford dealer in Northern Virginia. He also said they sell at a premium these days - particularly the Adrenalin (gen2) which makes me happy!

Suggest eBay and be willing to travel. Be aware that Gen2's are pretty much a different vehicle in so many ways. I've had both and the difference is definite. I was surprised when I got my gen2 from the factory without test driving it before ordering. At the time, there was no such thing as an Adrenalin on the lot...you had to educate the dealer and have them order it from the factory as they had no clue. Anyway - $12K is going to be hard even for a Gen1 I think. Gen2's are selling really high values in the $20K+ range when they do sell here.

There's a Gen 2 on a lot in Des Moines, Ia for $18,000+. I've only seen it as I've driven by so I don't know how many miles are on it or anything else.

I haven't seen too many Generation 2 STs for sale around me, and those that I have seen have only been the V6.

I've seen a fair number of Generation 1s, with the 4.0, but they've all been 2001s, and some of them have even been the inferior version (<a href="http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/faq.asp?VIEW=134&PageHeader=Frequently%20Asked%20Questions">Job 1</a>).

Good luck in your search, as far as trucks go they're pretty excellent IMO; ST > Ranger.

I think you can find a sport trac but it may require some travel depending on where you live. There are quite a few of them on cars.com

Grant, an AutoTrader search within 500 miles of Leesburg VA brings up nearly 400 listings for Tracs with max price of $12K. All of them are Gen1s. Use the link below further narrow down your hunt. When I dropped the distance to within 100 miles I get 32 listings. Not buying the "nearly impossible to find" comment from Ford dealer - but a dealer's used car criteria are much different from what members here are looking for. I have bought and sold several cars using AutoTrader but have no experience with eBay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grant, using same AT search for mileage low-to-high I find an 03 4x4 with 56K miles within 20 miles of your ZIP. Price is $10,995. That's extremely low miles - I'd go look at it.

Latest posts