HELP! Code Readers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARVIN McINTYRE 2

Reaction score
Took my ST to my dealer because of flashing O/D light. They said that my tranny was shot. Said that it would require a new one!($3,323) I'm skeptical because there were no signs of trouble, and I wasn't even driving it at the time of the flashing light as it appeared that morning when I cranked it up. Anyway, I paid the diagnosis and had my ST flatbedded home for further review by another source because I want a second opinion on it. Can anyone tell me what these codes mean: P0171, P0743, and P0741? (I guess those are zeros, or maybe o's?0 (I can't distinct, LOL)

Last edited by a moderator:
P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)

P0743 Torque Converter Clutch System Electrical

P0741 Torque Converter Clutch System Performance Or Stuck Off

Maybe your Torque Converter is just shot I don't know much about trannys other than the human kind :lol:

If you look in my library there is a .doc with a list of all Ford Diagnostics codes and what they mean. I think those are lean left/right banks which is a common problem with a vacuum hose and an easy $20 fix. If it is your tranny, then those aren't the codes for you. Also, the price seems a little high, and you may be able to get it done for half that price at an independent shop.

Check the connections to the transmission. A loose plug or some corrosion can cause fault codes. It's odd that Ox sensor and tranny codes appeared at the same time with no prior indication of anything going bad. I'd almost bet it's a harness connection problem. I had a Chevy that had that happen right after I zip tied some harness branches to the engine. The movement of the engine caused a plug to pull loose. It was the one connected to the tranny. CEL came on and tranny only had 1st gear. Got home, cut zip ties, reconnected harness, problem gone.

Thank you Bill-E, Jeff C., and Ions for those tips! I hate to say it, but dealers sometime over quote a fix just to get more, though they are pretty honest sometimes. I will look at the symptoms you guys have given and go from there. This is an awesome site to pick the brains of some pretty knowledgeable people who have dealt with the same or similar problems. I think FORD should review all messages that come through here just to guage what we think and say, that would bring back a few thousand customers and put confidence back into the American ingenuity. Is that an appropiate assessment? Thanks again guys!

Very commonly, the "Blinking OD light of Death" is caused by a couple of solenoids begining to fail in the tranny. If taken care of quickly without aggrevating the situation by driving it too much, this can run less than $1000.

Do a search on this site for "blinking OD light" or "od light", ect..... you will find a few people with the same symptom, and several of them report back the exact problem and how much it cost to get repaired.

Do not let it go however, the blinking OD light is reporting an error, and if taken care of promptly it frequently will save the tranny.

From what I have ssen reported by other members, it "blinks" before the tranny is toast. So you may not need a new tanny. Perhaps just a couple of solenoids or torque converter. Both of which will be much more economical to replace than the entire tranny.

Also, as Bill-E said, the error may be a simple connection problem. But I would kinda think the dealer would find that........unless they really really really wanted to sell you a tranny.....or perhaps they just read the codes and didn't even crawl under the vehicle to check for a connection problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy G. Thank you too, for your input on this matter. I wasn't too thrilled to pay what they wanted to quote me for that repair, and that is why it pays to get a second opinion. If Ford Motor Company paid some of the owners for what they know and have experienced, we would all be driving note free! Thanks, I will check out your prognosis!

The reason I would suspect a connector is the presence of the System Too Lean error code along with the tranny codes. Just too much of a coincedence. Perhaps someone here can tell you where the harness connections are for the tranny. They should be top-side but I don't know which side they are on. When you find them, unplug and replug. I only say this because I had it happen as I stated above.

I know years back, the tranny had vacuum to it....not sure about today, but maybe one has affected the other! A friend of mine had that happen on his Subaru...code came back to a bad sensor...$260.00 later, still got the code...found a pinched vacuum line that ran to it...about 50 cents for the new hose!!

Bill E & trtex, I am just getting back with you all concerning the OD light and I really appreciate your help. Right now it is a bit dark to do those observations, but will check them out in the daylight hours. It is amazing that so much help can be had here as opposed to the help you seek via a call to your local yokels at the dealerships. Also, is there a site where codes are listed for Ford vehicles? Thanks and if I donn'yt reply right back to you, it will be because I am chilling and driving my trusty ol' 91 Explorer Eddie Bauer, with over 200,000 miles on it! BTW, there were problems with that tranny too... but it was through neglect by my SOL9son-in-law) #$@&^%$ him! See ya later!

The "blinking OD light" doesnt ALWAYS mean a sudden death I had a blinking OD light for maybe 10secs on the highway one day....about 25K miles ago and my tranny (as far as I know) has been strong as the day I bought it (sitting at almost 90K right now) I took it too a transmission shop and had it looked at by my fathers friend (he use to work at a ford stealership) and they both said it looked perfect for how many miles it had but ALWAYS get it checked out maybe i'm lucky...better safe than sorry.

Sometimes the OD light will blink for a few moments if the computer senses a flare between shifts, or something to that effect.