Help Dead Cylinders??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Rice

Reaction score
Hello all, new to this site but I've had my ST for 3+ years. I have an 04 ST 152,000 miles. NEVER had a problem with her. Last week I got almost to the house when she started idling really rough. :angry: I checked this board and got lots of great info. :cool:

Things I've done:

Cleaned the IAC

Cleaned the TB

Changed plugs and wires

Although these things definately needed cleaning or changing, nothing seemed to change the idle much. A mechanic friend of mine is looking at it while I'm out of town working. He just called and told me he thinks the no. 2 and 5 cylinders are dead? He said he changed the wires with known good wires, no change. Next he plans on pulling the plugs to check the compression in those cylinders. I'm hoping for the best but I'm not optimistic at this point. Does anyone know of any other reason that both cylinders directly across from each other would do that at the same time?

Any insight into this problem is greatly appreciated. thanks

If the wires weren't it, then it could be a bad coil pack. What are the Check Engine Light codes? You can go to AutoZone or any other auto parts store and have the OBD II codes read for free.

TrainTrac- Thanks for the reply. I'm working out of town VA and the trac is in SC, I haven't gotten what the codes are from my mech friend yet, as soon as I do I'll post here and see what everyone can figure out. Would a bad coil pack cause both those cylinders to act that way? I can see one cylinder but 2 at the same time across from each other?

Just got the latest. Cylinder 5 compression 150, cylinder 2 compression 0. I guess I'm screwed unless anyone has got some suggestions. Please.

I was going to say broken valve spring, causing the valve to hit the piston..

Todd Z