Help! Leak in Rack & Pinion Area

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinson Yap 2

Reaction score
Hello people,

what do you guys suggest I do? I noticed some leak of Power Steering Fluid in the Rack & Pinion area. I verified it by checking the level of the steering wheel fluid, It is way below minimum. What do you suggest I do? Do I change the whole assembly? or are there any remedies to fix the problem?

Would any of you guys have the e-mail of resty?

Vipy

Find out where the leak is coming from. It may be a simple fix. I know BMWs are notorious for power steering leaks because they use crappy one-use style hose clamps that loosen over time and cause a leak. Hopefully it's just something little and stupid and not a major thing.

A good way to try to find the leak is to put the front of the truck on jack stands, get under there with some brake cleaners and lots of rags and clean up ALL the leaked fluid, do the same on the top side. Crank up the truck and search for the leak. If you can't find it, a shop could do a dye test and find it for you, they may or maynot want you to replace the entire rack instead of just the parts needed, if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know some st had issues with the high pressure line leaking...

Todd Z

Try flushing out your power steering system real good w/ new fluid.. had that problem w/ my aerostar at 30k miles, flushed it out, and it stop the leak and didn't have another issue with it for another 170,000 mi!

Don't forget to use Mercon ATF in the Power Steering.

It is NOT power steering fluid.

I think I've heard that PS fluid may leak out.

My 04 leaked PS fluid within months of taking ownership. Was fixed under warranty. Seals or fittings or somesuch were replaced. It wasn't a bad leak...a small puddle about 2 or 3" in diameter if I left the ST parked for overnight.

BTW, somebody asked about issues with the ST, and year...I forgot this one.

Latest posts