HELP, loud clunk noise from rear end

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Kaufman

Reaction score
I recently had my Ford dealer replace the nuts and bults on the EE sway bar that I have. they had told me that it wasn't connected because the nuts and bults had loosened and fell out. Well ever since they did this, if I pull out to fast or make a turn quickly, I hear a loud clunk noise from the rear of the truck. It sounds like I have something in the bed and it slid across and hit the other side, but the bed of the ST is empty. Anyone have an idea of what this is??

Maybe you need to grease the swaybar? Maybe your swaybar links came undone? Or maybe its the shocks? Crawl under and look to see if anything doesn't look right.

Maybe the bolts aren't on tight enough. I also read that on the brackets, the larger, elongated 'eye' should be on top. Not sure if this makes a big difference. Mine EE was making some noise too after I regreased the bushings and I just retightened the bolts real good. Apparently I installed the brackets up side down too but they are pushed up so that the bolts rest on the bottom half of those elongated holes. They are tight enough that they don't come down and make a thunking noise. I really hope all this makes sense to you.

:p

Sorry you missed the offering, I guess you hadn't arrived yet.

OK, now back to the problem at hand. I think ions has the right idea about an end link being disconnected.

I've had the "thunk" that Steve is describing, almost from day one (before and after the EE sway bar was installed).

This noise used to get a lot of attention on this site as a bad #3 body mount. My body mounts all look good, as do all my end-links and shock mounts. I've crawled under the Trac looking for anything that appears loose, but no hits.

I've come to accept the "thunk" as a gremlin that has taken up permanent residence in my ST. :)

Latest posts