Help me lawn mower battery dead (a.s.a.p)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Nash

Reaction score
Well my lawnmower battery is dead i was wondering can u jump start a lawn mower like u would do to a car? Help ASAP I need to get this thing movin

Last edited by a moderator:
You can but be very quick about it. Put the jumpers on and start the mover and get them off. Of course, don't have the vehicle running. Just stating the obvious.(just like every American warning label):lol:

not sure trying to figure that out as we speak it has 340 cold cranking amps so could it be 12 volts

Check it with a multi-meter.

If it is 12 volts, you can jump it with no problems at all. 6 Volts is a no-no. You can and will blow your electronics.

Tom

I dont have a multimeter but i went to the website and i see that if i put my tractor in they give me a 12 volt battery so i would say that it is a 12 volt

You should buy a trickle charger at Wal-Mart for about $20. Lawnmowers don't have alternators to recharge the battery, so you'll never get the battery recharged without it.

Chris, I used to be a Troybuilt mechanic. You can still jump it. Try to have someone help you and one be by the front of the mower and be quick about everything. I know it's not the safest way to do things but if you need it ASAP we used to do it all the time. it's up to you though. Nelson, mowers don't have an alternator per say. they do have a charging system. It's more of a system that is under the flywheel that takes current from a magnet on the flywheel and puts it back to the battery. Chris, since it's a 12 volt system, just hook the jumpers up with out the vehicle running, let them sit awhile and then start it. Find a meter and check the charging system by putting the leads on the Battery and see if it's over 12 volts. If it is it's charging and the Battery is bad.

My life is complete and I didn't realize it.

I have 3 DMM's, a riding mower WITH an alternator, and a trickle charger for the winter months, like right now, I haven't mowed my grass in two weeks but I will this weekend.

Latest posts