HELP! Need help for Winders 7 IE

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
last week my machine was updating IE from 10 to 11 and the power went out for 2 days. Well of course the update didn't completely install. Now IE will not open, I cannot remove it and re-install because it errors out. I've tried all the fixes I found on the net and MS. Nothing works. MS says just wipe the drive and reload. AHHHH NNOOOOOOO. Anyone know of any thing to help? I don't really use IE with the exception of 1 contractor with a billing website that as of right now only works with IE.

Last edited by a moderator:
LaRue,

The easiest way is to look in your Programs / Accessories/ System tools / System Restore, and restore your system back to a date prior to the IE update...then you can install the IE update again......but only after you pay your electric bill...:grin: Just kidding.

...Rich

I'm using firefox and google, but I need IE to process one of my vendor accounts. Now for some reason I cannot install any printers.

Richard, my restor points don't go far enough back.

Damn,, I don't want to restore back to October.

LaRue,

It sounds like you let this problem go on too long. You should have restored as soon as you noticed the problem

I guess it just depends on how often you use IE and how bad you need it?

I personally would back out the last IE update, or perhaps better yet, just remove IE off your PC completely, and reinstall it from scratch by downloading it from Microsoft...Their latest version should have all the updates so you should not have to run an unending list of updates and patches.

...Rich

wish I could Richard,,, I've been fighting this since the day we got power back after the ice storm. I can't remove IE or update it,, nothing.... Even trying a fresh install errors out. I ghuess I will have to re-image. Time to start a data backup and press on..

LaRue,

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and simply start over....wipe the disk and reinstall.

I would also advise that you invest in a good backup UPS so those power failures will not cripple your PC.

About a 1.5 years ago, we had a series of power failures...about 5 in a row in a matter of about 15 seconds? That crashed my harddrive...I bought a new hard drive and attempted to use my Microsoft backup to restore my system only to find that it said it could not install from the backup:cry:

I had to rebuild everything from scratch. Reinstalling my software was not a big problem, but I was concerned about getting my data back since the crashed hard drive could not even be read with any of the software or equipment I had. The problem was that the disk would not come on or spin at all? I had a lot of data backed up on other media and I managed to get back all my critical data, and probably got 98% of all the less important stuff.

After that experience I downloaded and tested a free version of Macrium Reflects back up software and purchased a battery backup UPS. I like the Reflect backup so much I bought a full version. The free version will image and restore a partition, but you cannot selectively backup or restore single files...and I like to be able to retrieve single files without restoring everything.

...Rich

Richard, I have 2 ups backups. One on my pc and monitor and the second to run the printers and speakers and a couple other things.. Problem was,, I was not here when the power went out. The backup is only good for 30 mins. I have the 2013 full version of Acronis True Image. Don't really like but it was rated #1 in 2013. I file backed up my stuff this morning. Now I'm restoring a good image as I type. Never used the restore before, so it's all guesswork. We'll see. My image is after I installed all my licensed software. Fingers crossed.... Which version of Macrium do you have, standard or pro?

LaRue,

I have the Standard version of Macrium Reflect (32 bit)

I have tried Acronis but it did not work well for me. I also have Acronis Drive Monitor, but think I will remove it since it does not seem to be working. It tells me that there are errors on a disk I have connected via a USB port, but it claims it's not supported?

Most reviews rate Acronis a wee bit better than Macrium, but only because it had a few extra features that were not important to me (password encrypting backups?, etc) and not worth the 25% higher price. I also found that Macrium's test version worked flawlessly for me while Acronis test verion frequently had problems and failed to successfully back up my PC. Definitely not what I wanted in a backup....and where Windows Back up failed me after my hard drive crashed...that's when I needed it, but it could not restore from it's backup?

OK, so if your backup was working, why were you not able to restore to an image prior to the IE update failure?

...Rich

:driving:GOT MY PC BACK!!!! I had a backup files from 2feb. A couple weeks before the ice storm. Everything works! As I was testing a smaller hard drive, I remember I put windows and programs on a 500 gig drive by itself. All my data goes on a 3 tb drive. GOOD TO GO..:banana: BTW,, I'm making a new image from todays's install.

LaRue,

I'm glad you are back up and running. Aren't you glad you had backups...that worked!! :grin:

It took me about 2 weeks to get all my data files back after my Window's backup said it could not do a restore after my hard drive crashed :cry:

Fortunately, I had copies of most of my data on other media, like other external drive, and jump drives. After my crash I purchased the Macrium Reflect backup software, and also purchased a D-Link NAS with 2 terabyte hard drives installed in a RAID-1 (Master & Shadow drives) configuration.

Even some computer professionals have to learn the hard way..:haveabeer:

...Rich

:supercool::supercool::supercool::supercool::haveabeer::haveabeer::haveabeer::haveabeer::banana::banana::banana::banana:

I just had my new Dell XPS 8700-Intel Core-i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive with a 1GB NVIDIA GeForce Video Card delivered today. I have taken it out of the box, but have not attempted to hook it up yet. It comes with Windows 8.1, 64 bit, so there will be a learning curve since this is a leap from my old system with Windows XP Professional.

I will gradually be installing my software, and as long as I have my old PC, I can take my time learning Windows 8.1 and figuring out what software works and don't work on it.

...Rich

nice machine. I got a new Dell back in October,Inspiron 660... I-5-3330 CPU @ 3.00 Ghz, 8 gig ram, Windows 8.0, 64 bit, 1 TB hard drive, on board video, added a NVIDIA GeForce 610, and running 2 19" monitors.. I took out that drive and put in a new drive with win 7.:driving:

LaRue,

Sounds like are PC's are very similar, except yours is called an Inspiron and mine is an XPS.

I have the Intel Core-i5 4430 processor @ 3.10 Ghz. I think the main difference might be the number of USB ports. I have 4 USB 2.0 and 6 USB 3.0. It also has a Charge Share port which is as USB port that remains on even if the PC is shut off...that allows you to charge other USB devices like Cellphones, or Tablets.....I won't use it for that, since I never shut my PC off unless I am doing some kind of hardware upgrade.

Did your PC come with Windows-8 installed or did it come with both Windows-7 and Windows-8? I ask because I'm pretty sure I have some applications that may not run on a 64 bit, Windows 8.1 and I don't know if they will run in Windows-7 Compatibility mode?

I have had a Windows-8 Professional version for over a year than I never installed which I planned to put on my little Acer NetBook PC. I heard it will work, but requires a minor adjustment to the screen resolution via the Registry file.

I also, understand that if you have Windows-8, you can download a FREE upgrade to Windows-8.1? Have you looked into that? I understand that Windows-8.1 is much better than Windows-8, but I guess I won't know until I see if I like Windows 8.1 on my new Dell PC.

...Rich

Mine came with win 8 and I upgraded to 8.1. Everything I have works on both. I just like win 7 better for now. But I can go to win 8.1 anytime; if I want to put the other drive in. What I want to find is a "swap" bay/drive adapter. Then I can run whichever I want.

LaRue,

I know what you mean. When I was working as a Sr. Programmer on a Web Team, we had a PC set up with a drive caddy installed to allow us to put in any of 3 or 4 different operating systems that we could boot up with to mimic any PC in our corporation.

I'm sure there is a way to set up a dual boot PC on a single drive, but I have never done it because I never had the need.....but I may look at doing this with my new PC

What do you like better about Windows-7 vs Windows-8? I know there are a lot of differences, but most people say it is just the learning curve due to radical changes with Windows-8?

...Rich

familiarity,,, as of right now, I don't want to mess with it. I tried for about 6 weeks and just just couldn't grasp it. I got some software that that I liked,,, it made win 8 act like win 7 and that made it easier. i.e. http://www.classicshell.net/

also I found a lot of info on dual boot,, but that is way more "smarts" than I have. I know there used to be software for it. Who knows:eek:nline: