Help, please?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Dean

Reaction score
I was driving and heard a loud clunk noise, kept driving and noticed my st would not shift higher than second gear. I pulled over, shut the engine off and restarted and notice the 4x4 low light stays on, it doesn't go off when switching the knob. The 4x4 knob just started working today, it is really cold here in K.C. Does anyone know what the problem and/or solution is for this. The 4x4 was not engaged at first. The 4x4low light only goes off when in reverse, but comes back on when in drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
O dear, in reading the manual i see that it says if the 4wd light is blinking or staying on , there is a problem with the 4wd system...We havent had any problems like this pop up on here as i can see lately, but maybe this is a transfer case problem? since it has to do with the shifting. It doesnt sound like any electronic problems, like the module or the relay wiring that i had... Todd Z or someone else will be able to help more. good luck. But i do notice more things go wrong when it gets really really cold out, might just be a temperature related flaw?

Andy

You say your St would shift higher than second gear, Did you mean would NOT shift??..

Where you using the 4wd when this happened???. IF so, 4wd low or high??.

How is the truck now that you restarted??. Does it drive fine??.

Sounds to me like something broke in the transfer case or it dropped it self into 4wd some how and is now stuck...

Could be the t-case fork that another member had here..

Todd Z

Yes Todd, I meant it would not shift higher than 2nd gear. The 4wd was not on at the beginning, but now its on 4wdl and won't go off except when it is in reverse, but as soon as it goes into drive it comes back on and stays on.

ok last question, It may be stuck in 4wd, Take off real slow and listen for the shifts.. If your stuck in 4WD LOW it will fee like it will not shift past second, BUT it is in 5th !!!!

You can try to confirm by going straight, at a slow speed in drive, Then slowly drop the shifter down 1 gear at a time.. IF it drops every gear, then the transmission is good and the T-case is stuck in 4WD LOW...

You can try going from 4wd low to 4wd HIGH by placing the switch in 4wd LOW first.. Drive a couple of feet.. THEN STOP the truck Place the transmission in Neutral, Move the selector in to 4WD HIGH, then remove your foot off the brake and put your foot back on the brake. IT should go into 4wd HIGH, then drive a couple more feet and then switch it back into 2wd...

Todd Z

Todd, I tried everything you said and now it is doing fine. YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!!!!!!! Should I still have it checked out or do you think it is okay now. The 4wd hasn't been working for a while. Today is the coldest day of the year and it decides to work and then this happens, but thanks to you my baby is back to normal. YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

The 4wd is tricky and it can get "confused" or as I like to say "stuck on stupid"..

Thats the procedure I take to get it in and out of 4wd all the time...

You should exercises the 4wd in the rain every now and then, just use 4wd HIGH for a couple of minutes to keep the motor and t-case moving...

Glad it is fixed.

Todd Z

Latest posts