HELP! Problem with 'hot' starting!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curt NA

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I posted here on this site a few days ago about my '01 Trac (bought on Sunday 7/9/06). There seems to be a problem and I'm hoping some folks here could provide some input.

Needless to say, I'm a little disappointed in this truck since I just bought it a few days ago :( It didn't have this problem at the dealer (of course)! Since it was used w/50K miles there was no warranty. ANY help would be appreciated...

I didn't first notice this problem until I got home on Monday evening. I have about a 40 minute commute and when I got home I parked the truck. After about ten minutes, I decided to go out and was unable to start the truck. It didn't seem to turn over at all, I didn't hear any noise from the starter. After about 5 minutes, I was able to start the truck.

This "hot start" problem reoccured Tuesday and again today. The common theme is that I'm able to drive home from work, but after turning off the truck and attempting to restart (after a few minutes), the truck will not start until waiting a few minutes.

I did some searches on Google Groups and found that some folks have had problems with their fuel pump relays. After the truck refused to start today (when hot), I was able to start up after making sure all the relays were well seated. I don't know if this was a coincidence or not.

Just FYI, the truck never has a problem when starting cold (in the morning or before I drive home from work).

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Is there anything I should look for to help in diagnosing this problem? Does anyone know which relay is for the fuel pump? Any harm in removing the relays and making sure the connections are clean?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar problem with my Ford van. It turned out to be the fuel filter. If you don't know when it was changed, I would just change it anyway. You might need a special inexpensive tool to get it off. Ask how to use the tool when you buy it if you are not familiar with it.

Gary D. in CT

Since you mentioned the engine not turning at all, the other thing to look for should be the condition of your battery. Auto Zone or any other parts store should be able to check it out for you.

First, the Trac has had some issues with the early version of the fuel pump. When hot, it did not perform well and either would not start or would run with less performance.

BUT.... you mentioned it does not turn over so this is not the issue. If it does not turn over then you have an issue with the starting system. (Battery, battery cables, starter solenoid or the starter itself).

You describe how most starters are when they fail. When they got hot they expand and the windings short out. Since they are shorted it either does not turn over at all or slowly since most of the amperage being feed to the starter is being lost via the short.

Once it cools down the windings are no longer shorted and it turns over like a champ....

Thank you all for your replies! :)

Is it difficult to change a starter or starter solenoid? What is involved? Is this something a Ford dealer would be able to diagnose and easily fix (any idea on cost)?

I would NOT be bringing it back to the same dealer I bought it from. I'm sure they would not be helpful at all. I already made the mistake of buying from a Ford dealer assuming the truck would be reliable. :angry:

I think my plan will be to:

1) Drive the truck to Kragen Auto after work today to have them test the battery strength.

2) If the battery strength is ok, I'll inquire on prices for a starter...

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to Kragen Auto yesterday after work. The gal there tested the battery and said it "was like new". So, from the previous posts, I am guessing it may be the starter...

Question:

Is there a test that a shop can perform to test the starter (to see if it is good or not) while it is in the truck?

Latest posts