Help: Remote start for my van

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
Coastie's post made me think,,, I want to put a remote start on my work van (E-150), I have keyless entry, no transponder key. All I want is a BASIC, CHEAP starter. My van is garaged so I don't need it in the am or preheat, whatever... I mainly want it for when I am working in the back and it gets too hot or too cold, I can just push a button and crank it up. Voila,, heat/air.... Even if I could figure out how to hardwire in a "remote switch" Any suggestions. Heck, if it only works 20 ft away ,is good enough for me... Remember!! CHEAP, PLAIN, BASIC, did I say CHEAP?

:banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
LaRue,

Any shop that installs mobile audio equipment can install a remote start for $99.00.

Ask them about it.

Tom

I use the Crimestopper brand remote starts from ebay seller "mypushcart". They've got a wide range of options and pricing, from basic systems to 2 way LCD remotes. The range on the basic systems is OK, but they're cheap and I've never had one go bad. I've installed about 10 of them over the past 12 years or so.

Tom, I did, nowhere around Sumter or Florence will sell one less that 179 installed. 210 if I want my keyless installed. I've found them on ebay for 29 bucks - up, but by the time I pay someone to install it,,, the price shoots back up.:huh:

Keep in mind if you have limited range on your remote all you need to do is extend the little black antenna wire located on the main box and route it some place it will be easier to receive the signal from your remote.

I don't care about range. Just want something that will work while I'm IN the truck.... without having to stop what I'm doing, get out, walk around the truck and crank it up. Yea I may be lazy, but "time" is where a locksmith makes his money...:blink:

$200 bucks installed is pretty good for a remote starter. I wouldn't touch one for a customer for less than that, they're just too time and labor intensive. You'll probably also need a PATS (or similar) bypass, they usually run $30-50. As for a $99 install, I assume Tom's talking about just the labor. That would be about as low as a shop could afford to do the work for, considering the time needed to install them properly. If that's for the starter AND installation, I pretty much guarantee 99% of the people won't get out the door for $99. That's a "bait" price to get them in the door, then there will be extra parts needed, extra labor to install those parts, etc.....

As for a $99 install, I assume Tom's talking about just the labor. That would be about as low as a shop could afford to do the work for, considering the time needed to install them properly.

Nope, system without a PATS is 99.00 installed, with PATS, $159.00.

Tom

Ahh, as I said, very few people will get out the door for $99 because most vehicles will require some type of PATS bypass nowadays. Either way, I'd be leery of the quality of a $99 install on a remote start.

Latest posts