Help, what are They??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary DiPietroSr

Reaction score
While working on the ST running wires for my rear-view camera and power tailgate lock I noticed something disconnected under the trac. Under the spare tire are these two flat things with a couple of hoses between them One of the hoses was pulled out of a fitting. It was a black, hard plastic hose with a "O" ring fitting. I looked around for it's mate and plugged it back in. My question is ...what are these two things? Here is a picture of one side. Thanks

Gary D.

[Broken External Image]:

Looking at that picture, I can not see what you are trying to identify. Edit the picture with MS Paint and circle the area you are talking about.

Tom

Until I mark the picture, it's the flat black plastic rectangle thing that the bent hose is going into. There is one on the other side of the tire holder too. There is another hose up on top. That's the one that was disconnected

That is the Evaporative Emissions Canister. The rubber hose at the lower right of your photo goes to the Dust Separator.

And a good thing you reconnected the lines, because they were allowing fuel vapors to escape. Bad news if something had caused a spark nearby.

Thanks TRACketPaul, Here's the picture marked up. The X is the part and the arrow is where the other hose is on top.

[Broken External Image]:

Gary, DID you look at the abs thing while under there????

Todd Z

also check the hoses coming from the fuel neck. Its actually plugged into the wheel well plastic that surrounds the fuel neck. You could feel under the wheel well or look from the bottom. i have an 03' and had the system replaced under warranty because the hoses became deattached from the fuel neck and it took on water. The symptoms are excessive fuel kick back and a "check engine light." I made a complaint to the NHTSA.gov and the problem became a recall. The 02's did not have this problem, the 03's and maybe later have an extra hose for a total of 3 leading from the fuel neck