HELP!! with Back Power Window

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Duckworth

Reaction score
Hi all!!

I am a new Sport Trac owner. I got a 2001 and love it.

Here is my problem. I can not get the back power window to do anything. No UP, no Down, no VENT. Nothing, Nada.

I don't have a users manuel (ordered one off Ebay today) so I pulled out ever single fuse one at a time and none were blown. I put my ear up against the window and the metal behind the back seat and had my wife toggle the switch and didn't hear anything.

Is there another fuse some where?

I work for a credit union and we have a repo'd Sport Trac, I looked at it today and the back power window doesn't work in that one either, does the same as mine.

Anyone got any idea's?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Ron in Tuscaloosa, ALABAMA -- Roll Tide ROLL!!!

:)HI,This happened w/my husband.s trac also-it was an easy fix. Loosen the 2 screws that hold the stereo in, take them out,the whole face comes out, & you should see a plug, hopefully hanging loose, Plug it in & the window should work,it did for us. He has had his for 1 week yesterday-a white '02, w/leather. I have had mine since Feb.-an '01 Island Blue w/4WD. We love our Tracs!. Hope this helps-Kathy C.

You might just have it stuck in the up position, this is a 'safety feature', before tearing everything apart, firt turn and HOLD towards the right, the up and down knob, for a few seconds, then it should reset itself,. this happens every once and awhile, THEN, if that doesn't work, then try the other fixes suggested.

~Dove~

I've got the same problem on my '01. I did a search and a few members found it was a burned out motor. I'll be ordering a replacement motor from Rusty (one of the site sponsors, Spartan Lincoln Mercury) in the near future. Haven't heard anything about switch failure. Mine is stuck in closed position so its not a priority. Good luck!:)

It could be a burned out motor. Happened to LaRue in ATL.

Welcome to the site Ron, and oh yeah, WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Tried the reset thingy....nothing.

Took out the 2 screws to the radio, but the radio wouldn't budge,si I put the screws back in.

I guess things could be worse, it could be stuck in the down position.

thanks for all the hints and solutions. I look forward to getting to know everyone and teaching Jeff C. the ways of the Tide.

see yall later.

Ron

Get a 12 v. test light and take the back panel off. Not sure exactly how to do this,

but other members can help, as this also seems to be a somewhat common

problem on our tracs. Hook the clip of the test light up to a good ground, maybe the

window motor bolt itself, and have someone toggle the switch to different positions

while you probe the wires in the window motor harness to check for power, being

careful not to touch or probe two contacts at the same time. If you have power,

it is the motor itself. If not, it may be in the body-wiring harness itself (broken

wire or something) and unless you are fairly mechanically inclined, this may be

something better left to a trusted mechanic.

By the way, WELCOME Ron and Better Half to the site!

Click on my little green wrench, choose the Factory Sub Install. It will tell you and show you pictures of how to remove the back panel.

I strongly suggest you test for power back there so you know where to head. Otherwise, your doing nothing but guessing. Which can get expensive when you buy things you do not need....

Hang on a sec.

Before you do that, did you try to re-initialize the system? If not, here's how:

a. Start with the ignition key in the OFF position.

b. Turn the ignition key to the ON position.

c. Press the rear window glass control switch vent button six times.

d. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position.

e. Press the rear window glass control switch vent button six more times.

f. Turn the ignition key to the ON position. At this point the rear window glass will move up and down approximately 20 mm (0.8 in). This movement signifies that the rear window glass motor has entered into the initialization mode.

Note: The rear window glass control switch must be held in the up or down position until the window glass stops moving. Failure to hold the switch will end the initialization operation. Then initialization will have to be re-started.

g. Hold the rear window glass control switch in the full up position until the rear window glass stops in the full up position.

Note: If a repair is to be carried out on the rear window glass release the rear window glass control switch when it reaches the desired position. This will end the initialization operation.

h. Hold the rear window glass control switch in the full down position until the rear window glass stops in the full down position.

i. Hold the rear window glass control switch in the full up position until the rear window glass stops in the full up position. At this time the window will move up and down approximately 20 mm (0.8 in) signifying the rear window glass motor is initialized.

Also, You don't need to take the back panel off to troubleshoot or replace the backplane motor. Fold down the rear passenger-side seat and open the access panel. As you're looking at the rear of the vehicle, the motor's electrical connector is down on the left side corner of the compartment. To access the motor and regulator (the mechanical gear and pulley system), open the fabric flap that's behind the access panel and pull off the ridged plastic cover.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Good luck,

Dale

Wow, everyone here is so COOL!!!!!

Thanks!!

I can't wait till I go to lunch today, I get to PLAY with my Truck!!

I'll try all this stuff and let everyone know what happen.

Another question, when I press VENT, should a light some on? Cause it doesn't.

I was able to get to the wires through the glove compartment. All the wires seemed to cliped snuggly in place on the switch.

I'll send an update later today after lunch.

Thanks again to everyone.

Ron.

Good info Dale. Was that in the owners manual? Just wondering.

Ron. No light should come on when you press vent. (At least no light has ever come on in my 02). I'm betting the motor went bad.

TomT,

I went through a bad window motor a couple of years ago. I did everything I could to first determine if the motor was bad or not. Got wiring diagrams from a Ford Truck CD to check the truck itself. Took the motor out and checked it on a bench (I was in the Air Force at the time and had access to some pretty smart technicians). As it turns out, because of the integrated logic board in the motor housing, you can't just apply power across the motor leads to determine if the motor is bad or not - even a good motor won't work if you try to do it that way. Anyway, I finally ended up ordering the motor from Rusty. The initialization instructions came with the new motor. Just for giggles I re-installed my old motor and re-initialized it. It worked. Once. I was able to roll the window up, but that was it.

I did remove the back panel first, which isn't really a mistake, but it does make the job about 3 hours longer than it needs to be. I didn't notice the fabric access flap until after I had already re-installed the back panel ("Hey, what's that? Ahhh, sh**, man! (slap to forehead).

Oh well, live and learn.

I am working on a project for this. It's just going kind of slow...

Well fellas, it is now my turn.

I did the re-init procedure...I heard the motor run for > a second. Is there anyway to manually raise the glass????? I live in Washington and not feeling too good about the forecast.

What does a new motor cost?

Just did a search of over 1800 yards inventory. Found a few at $40 dollars but all were on hold.

Found several at $70.00 and $75.00. I am sure they are instantly available since there were over 100 at that price.

Thanks Coastie. Any way to get the window up. I have searched the board...see several references to raising the window manually, but none that actually describe how.

It seems alot of the 01's had problems with the failure of the back window.

If you need a replacement motor, you can get one from Rusty @ FordPartsFast [Spartan Linc/Merc]. $108 + $10.95 shipping. [by far the best price]

To Raise the window, you will need to pull out the motor behind the panel shown above and use something to crank it up. Then reinstall the motor so it doesn't drop.

So get this...a few calls around town to dealers:

$178.84 (for the motor)

$189.44 (labor)

$195.00 (motor - with an estimated 5 business day wait to get the part)

$230.00 (labor - "uh, the technician says its an easy 3/4 hour job")

At this point, I just want to get the window up and forget about it.