Help with "chirping" noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Wilson

Reaction score
I need some help figuring out this noise. When I start my track, 2005 xlt 2wd, i have noticed a chirping noise; the noise reminds me of an annoying cricket. The noise seems to go away after a couple minutes. I think i might need to replace the serpentine belt but am not sure. I drive the truck as if i were a 90yr old man and have never had an issue, besides new tires at 60,000. Track currently has 65,000 miles. Any advice would be greatly appreceated. Thanks in advance. Travis

It could be the belt. How many miles on the belt? I like to change them at 45k to 50k. It could be an idler or tension pully. Maybe not if it completly go's away.

When it is sqeeking try a skirt bottle of water, on the belt. If it stops or changes sound. That most likly it.

Belt....

And go with the Gates k060860 it is 1/2 inch smaller but will make a world of a difference..

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
stick w/ a motorcraft or dayco belt. The Ford pullies are designed for thir rib profile... A gates (napa, etc) have squared off ribs, while the motorcraft/dayco are rounded.. The belt will last a lot longer.... JMHO, from experience

I installed the shorter gates belt. After 5k miles, my powersteering pump, slips worse than the stock belt, At high rpm. Im going to try something else. Maybe the GY gatorback. But I hear they are noisey....

Check your tensioners, Slippage can be from bad springs in the tensioners...

Todd Z

Todd, the tensioners are very tight. Takes a pipe on a long ratchet. Plenty of spring pressure. I have noticed lines on the back side of the belt from the pully grooves. As if they are wearing through the belt.

It sounds like STanner has it figured out, Fast Eddie. Your belts are not riding on the sides of the Vs, but rather the peak of the pulleys are bottomed out in the Vs on your belt and you are not getting enough traction. For some reason, the profile of the belt is not fitting the profile of the pulley. Sounds like you could have worn belt, pulleys, or both.

Gavin, there may be a point there. Also I have never hade a problem with gates serpentines on any ford I have owned. Dont mean this might be the first time.:(

It's not that a Gates won't work It that a Motorcraft/dayco will last 30,000 mile, while the gate will start chirping at less than 10k... I first discovered this on my 230,000 mile '90 aerostar, which was a PITA to change belts on...