Help with codes.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James FreemanJr

Reaction score
Just got "P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)" on my scangauge and I just changed the EGR/DFEwhatever not too long ago, Also took a look at the elbow and it is fine. Also just changed my oil/air filter maybe about 100 miles ago and added some seafoam (doubt that has anything to do with it) anything else I should look at?

Thanks.

try the dpfe sensor....

i really think its the elbow though mine looked fine and it was bad so try that....

paul h

good luck:)

Look at the elbow on the bottom side, I'll bet there is a hole in it.

(This is the bottom side of the elbow).

[Broken External Image]:

I already changed the DPFE acouple months ago and I don't really wanna fork out another 50+ for it when I changed it acouple months ago. I'll take the elbow off today and look but I felt around the hose and felt nothing. Anything else that can cause this beside those too things?

Thanks.

The DPFE sensor has nothing to do with the system going lean. That is the EGR system.

I would assume it would be safe to say you have a vacuum leak. That is causing unmetered air to enter the combustion chambers causing your system to run lean. Since it is on only one bank, possibly it could be an intake manifold leak. You can trace down the leak and find it easy. A propane torch is all that is needed.

It can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing, but it is simple to do.

Tom

Ok well it is the elbow. Took it off and there is a small crack on the underside of the elbow. Now does anyone know of a part # or maybe even a good cheap autozone type replacement? Or maybe if I could use some superglue or something like that to seal up the crack?

Thanks.

Well couldnt find any tubing of that size today and also advance auto didnt have the curved hose (another post gave a part # and they had none in stock) at the store I went too so I just took off the tube and wrapped it in electrical tape for the time being. Felt a big difference in idle. Just for a temp job. Thanks again guys.