help with fuel filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you have a metal or plastic tool?

I tried the plastic ones. They suck.

The metal ones work so much better.

Tom

Man, I just did that last weekend, and it was a b--ch figuring out how to disconnect that connection between the filter and the engine. The trick is, once you get the tool into that sleeve in the fuel line, you have to swing it back and forth using the same motion as when you're using a socket. That's the motion that disengages the inner clips. You gotta use that same motion when connecting the new filter.

Good luck my brother...

lesson learned.the hard way of course.by the right tools so a 10 minute job does not become a trip the parts store hour and a half job.once i got the right tool took me about 10 minutes.and done.

all done .took for a ride.big differance.idle is smoother trac feels much more responsive.also did pcv.trac responds very nice to what ever maintanance i seem to do do her.i guess the original owner did'nt care as much as i do.

Everyone should be gratefull of Fords design.

I invite anyone here that complains about Ford's design to try a fuel filter on a Chevy Silverado.

Tom

Just because Chevy's worse doesn't make Ford's good. After doing it once I will gladly pay $20 for someone else to do it.

How about Honda? Try a fuel filter on a Honda.

I would pay someone to do a filter on a Honda. There are a few things I would pay someone to do.

A fuel flilter on a Honda is very difficult. It is a neat design, but hard to replace. You end up breaking two banjo bolts. You replace those bolts and screw them into a fuel filter. You then have a leak. You put new washer on it and still have a leak. The only way to stop a leak is to tighten the bolts as hard as you can and then 1/2 turn more. Next time you replace the filter, you buy the banjo bolts ahead of time. You know they are going to break.

Tom

001Trac,

Care to list the "right tool" so others don't make the same mistake? I'd be much obliged.

My GMC Sierra (Silverado sibling) wasn't that hard. I changed it many times.

A Toyota Celica fuel filter, on the other hand, is hard to even SEE, much less remove and replace!

i bought a fuel filter/a c line quick disconnect.looks just like the one you think you should buy.but don't.make sure it say's fuel filter only.makes a big diff.the first one does'nt have the part that slides into the line.once you get the right par.it was very simple to do.but not the most fun i have ever had.was well worth the effort though.