Help with Maps and TomTom GPS

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven D

Reaction score
Can the powers that be on this site please enlighten me?

I have a tomtom 740 and a tomtom one (3rd edition, 130s). I just bought the 130s off ebay to have a second unit.

That unit hasn't had the latest map pack on it, so if it were my only unit, I would need to buy the latest maps which tomtom has for 40 bucks, then buy the 4 time a year quarterly update which is another 40 bucks.

I have the latest maps and the quarterly update package for the 740. I am going to buy the quarterly update for the 130 as well, but my question is, is there a way to put the latest map package I have bought for the 740 onto my new 130 model to save me 40 bucks?

Any help is appreciated.

Do they both have the same type of cable to the computer? I would guess they made it so you can't. You could always call them, like we did when we had some trouble installing an update.

I just need to know or figure out how to get the download saved to the computer from one unit so I can then download it to the second unit.

i would think a usb device (the gps) should be recognized by the computer, so you can go through Windows Explorer and see the folders\files, then copy\paste them off to a temp folder on your computer, then turn around and hook up the other gps. The computer should recognize it, then use WIndows Explorer to copy the files from the computer over to the gps via usb. What I would wonder is whether you have to delete the files from the second gps first before copying over the updated files. You might want to copy the files from the second gps to a temp folder for safe keeping, so that if anything happens in your updating attempt you can copy them back over so you don't end up with a dead gps.

I did something similar with my navigon gps, but it was donwloading of updated map files. In my case I had to delete (backed up first) and then copy in the new files, ...good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Garmin has software that you download from the website. Then when you plug in any Garmin unit by usb it recognizes the unit by model and you have access to all functions. Maybe Tom Tom has something similar.

No. TomTom does not allow you to have more than one GPS unit on a computer for downloading of maps or backup. There software checks the internal serial number when you plug it in and immediately recongnizes a different unit is plugged in.

I have two TomTom's and it would not allow me to have both units operating from the same PC, so I had to put one on my laptop and one on my desktop PC. That pervents you from updating the maps on one GPS unit, backing it up, and then restoring the first units files to the second unit.

I think they consider their GPS units as portable, so you don't need one for every vehicle you own.??? Kind of strange since many households have multiple vehicles and may need to use the GPs in several vehicles at the same time? Or that would cut into their sales of new map updates.

...Rich

Latest posts