help with trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc vanalan

Reaction score
Got a problem. I replaced all my spark plug wires (Had a broken boot) 1 at a time so i was sure i had no mix ups. I then cleaned the iac motor and now the trac runs terrible. very rough idle . Also replaced a bad vaccume elbow. checked and rechecked everything like 5 times now. Did the iac again. still no change. Even accelerates rough and drives rough on the highway. Got a flashing check engine light on the highway a few times and felt like a miss or something rough , shut it off, got going again and still runs rough but the light went out.

I tried resetting the computer...no good yet. Any ideas on what it could be?:eek:

Agree with Evan; sounds like one of your plug is too loose/tight and or broke or one boot not correctly pushed in. Most likely not correctly pushed it, else the check engine light would stay on with a broken plug.

Any rotten egg smell and/or smoke out of the exhaust ?

How did you reset it ? You have a scanner ? If you do, it should have tell you which cyl. is not working properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
The IAC only controls idle, it would not cause you problems when you are driving.

If the engine light is flasging most liklt its a miss...If u keep driving it you will destroy your cat..are you put the wires on back in the correct order?....Also jus make sure again to make sure there isn't any wires that came off the injectors on the process...Also did you GAP your spark plugs ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Bosch quad plugs are well-documented to not work well with Ford engines. Take 'em out and put in Autolites or Motorcrafts and experience performance.

got it.!!!:):D:rolleyes:;) it was a cracked plug in #1 now it as good as new. Also replaced a leaking elbow(big one) and it fixed my pulsing problem that i was going to the tranny shop for next week. WOW! Thanks for all your help Everyone. I have fallen in love with the trac all over again!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::p

Latest posts