Help - Would You Buy A Used 2001?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Z

Reaction score
I am strongly considering buying a 2001 Trac with only 46,000 miles on it and the only thing that is holding me back is the dreaded O/D light of death 2/3 flair concern. I have a fully loaded 2001 Trac with 110,000 miles on it that I absolutely love. Virtually no problems for the five years I have had it until I got hit with the 2/3 flair issue. Without going into all of the details, based on what I have read on this sight I have probably waited too long to get it fixed and most likely am looking at a rebuilt tranny and around $2,000 out of pocket.

Dealer will give me a trade in of $6,500 for my Trac and based on our discussions I think I can close the deal on the used one for $6,500 cash out of pocket ($13,000 total purchase price). New one doesn't have leather seats and sun roof like my current one but is in very good shape. Dealer includes a 12 month/12,000 powertrain warranty so I should be covered if the 2/3 flair issue comes up in the first year. Did a Carfax on the new one and it is a single owner with no issues - - he added some after markets like a colored hard shelled tonneaou cover and window guards so it looks like he was a Trac guy and cared about his truck. I now have a good mechanic who I will have check out the new one to make sure there are no problems.

The Sport Trac is really the only thing out there I can see myself driving (I love the Honda Ridgline but it is out of my price capability). Now that I am up to speed on the 2/3 flair issue I will at least know what is happening should it come up and get it fixed right away. But I am interested in seeing what others would do in my situation - - would you pull the trigger and buy another 2001 knowing the 2/3 flair problem is out there or look at something else? Given my current tranny problem I guess I am looking at it as only $4,500 out of pocket to pick up a Trac with 60,000 less miles (although I will miss the leather and the sunroof).

Thanks for any input others might have on this decision.

Personally speaking, if this were me, and it may be eventually because my ST is a 2001, I would buy a new one with the trade with a few thousand down. Not talking the loaded ST, but a new one..... It may be around dealer retail but I wouldnt buy a 2001 for 13k. Go low end new, if your strapped for cash.. GOOD luck ! !

personally, if it was me and my current ST would be paid off, and I was considering a new one. I would just buy the new one, but keep the one thats paid off. When I say new one, I am talking about the used one that you found.

I have an 04 trac 4x4, would love, so love to find a 01-05 trac 2wd, with whatever amount of miles, just to pick up and buy it. just to have it. could be the beater or whatever, u know what I mean. Plus it be cool to have another vehicle added to my collection, I wanna beat my dads.

Reason I say I would keep the current and go after the other as well, b/c if you do the deal like you say, down the road, couple months go by and your going to be missing the stuff that the one you had traded in with.

Steve not sure if you thought about getting your tranny replaced with a Jasper remaned piece. Jasper is a quality company that corrects many of the problems with transmission/engine failures where there are known weaknesses in the design of the component. The cost for the Jasper may be a little higher but you get a 3/36 warranty. If you have a tranny shop or garage near you that can get the Jasper tranny it might work out better if you like your current S/T. Check out Jasper's web site and look for a local Japer dealer in your area.

Steve, how much more will it cost to extend that warranty? I purchased a 3 year/36,000 warranty with my ST at 96k miles last year. (I'm hoping the tranny will go out just BEFORE the warranty does :p ) If this "new" 2001 only has 46,000 miles, I would hope the cost of an extended warranty would be reasonable. Just something else to think about.

Personally, I would try to fix your current ST and keep it. You've loved it, taken care of it, etc. Yes, the tranny is hammered, but you know the status of everything else. For $4,500 more you *could* be buying some problems you don't know about (unless they all happen within that warranty period).

Good Luck!

I say fix your st or for that trade, Get an 05....

Todd Z

A repair bill is usually cheaper than a monthly payment.

Shop around. A reputable shop can fix it for $1,800.00 and many times less than that.

Tom

I have a '01 Job 1 4x4 with 165,000 miles and it's running fine. No transmission problems. You may have passed the crucial mileage where the 2-3 flare would occur (not sure on this - someone please chime-in).

I agree with both Cayman and NelsonOKC - repair bill is less than what you are looking at for the used Trac and you don't know what might happen.

Thanks for all of the input. I am going to take my ST in to my mechanic tomorrow and see what he can do to fix my tranny problem and forget about buying the other one. This a great site with great people.

good choice. If you are strapped, the new loan is not going to be any better. Borrow the money and fix the ST you have, at least you KNOW what has been done to it.

I would hesitate to buy another vehicle of same year, even with less miles. It is still 6-7 years old for 13k, especially if I am going down in the options. Mine is paid for, and if the tranny goes, I'll go with a reman tranny -- 2k is only about 4 months of payments on a new truck.