Hesitation and Surging after start up

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan Rexford

Reaction score
Hello all, I bought my 07 ST with the 6 cylinder last year and ever since I bought it its had this issue. It was really bad today so I searched the forum, but nothing seamed to exactly match my issue. If the truck sits for atleast an overnight or longer I have this issue right after start up. After I start it it idles fine and appears otherwise perfectly fine; but, when I go to give it gas it hesitates and then surges; several times. Sometimes it surges just a little, but today it was very noticable; I could almost describe it as a bucking. It goes away after say, 5 seconds of giving it throttle. I'm wondering if its the MAF sensor, but thought maybe someone here has had this same problem. I haven't checked for codes, but the CEL has not come on at all.

Thanks, in advance, Bryan

I have the same issue with my 05, but I have had this issue with my 01 and my 85 mustang. so figuered its a Ford thing. Will keep an eye on this post since someone else has the same thing.

There could possibly be a TSB for this. There was for the V8. After the dealer reflashed the computer, mine has been fine since. Again, not sure if there is one for the V6, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

This sounds like exactly what was happening with my 07 V8. Are you giving it a lot of gas, or just gently pressing the accelerator from a start. Mine would "buck" when I was really gentle on the throttle. Turned out it was the transmission computer issue. If you are still under warranty, the dealer should take care of it no problem. Just tell them you need the transmission reflashed with the most up to date program. They may even do this if it's out of warranty-although this is powertrain, so who knows how that works...

No TSB or recalls for this issue.

To answer scott I'm just giving it a little gas. I'm not under factory warranty, but I did get an extended warranty that's good for 2 more years. I'll have to look into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brought it to the dealer; they told me the radiator had a leak and the thermostat was not working properly. They claimed this was why I was having the issues so they changed it. Didn't work; same problems still exist so I think they screwed me.

It's not the radiator. Any mechanic that would offer up the radiator as the cause of this issue is an idiot.

I'd demand my money back.

Is the ST off-warranty due to miles?

TJR

Bryan, my 07 V6 does the same as yours 1st thing in morning, sits in a garage overnight, only lasts about one-half mile or so for me, I just kinda idle out of the subdivision and let the motor warm up a bit, and it's fine after that, but mine does it on a consistent basis. If I give a little bit of gas leaving my driveway, it does the stumbl/hesitation thing and then will go. You can try cleaning the TB and MAF and it may help a little bit, but the stumble/hesitation will probably come back. On your radiator issue, mine developed a small crack on the side while still under warranty, and they replaced for no cost to me, but the dealer told me there was an issue with radiators from that time frame, and they were replacing them left and right, i was just lucky to get it done under warranty. They had my ST for a week or longer waiting on the radiator to come in due to short supply.

Latest posts