High Flow cat installed (pics and sound)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Installed that sucker today. Wasnt too bad, But on you back is a PITA, especially removing the old one in one peice, So I inlisted my buddy's shop for his lift.. 1/2 hour install time.. I would Highly recomend replacing the 2 gaskets front and back when changing it out. I am not a fan of the ball and socket gaskets, so we Cut my exhaust and welded a new flange on so I can use a 2 bolt flange and flat gasket... I also installed a 02 bung for a/f testing.

The sound is noticable, and I did not loose any bottom end, and picked up some top end..

Here are some pics, And the Links for the videos..

<a href="http://www.zjstech.net/~library/10452/Flowmaster%20Dual%20Exhaust/Highflowcat%20014.wmv">

Sound clip before the high flow cat

</a>

<a href="http://www.zjstech.net/~library/10452/Flowmaster%20Dual%20Exhaust/Highflowcat%20015.wmv">

Sound clip after the high flow cat

</a>

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ape,

The camera does make it sound that way, If you ever get to here it in person, I think you will be pleasantly surprised....

Todd Z

Yeah,

I've had a clean Y-pipe (no pre-cats) and a high flow cat on for a while, now. It definitely has a different sound - much throatier - than with just a high flow muffler by itself.

Lookin' good, Todd.

Flip, In my old neighbor hood, Yes :rolleyes:, But in my new one, nope. The local kids have quads, dirt bikes and snow mobiles... :angry: At least I did not ride around the blocks at 2 in the morning like they do..... Sheesh...

Todd Z

no disrespect...I dont like any exhaust that make a poping sound..wouldnt want to take along trip..bet it drones in the cab..Iam with Ape no matter what you do it will always sound like a V6..;)

Ed, ask any one who has driven in my truck with me, George, Gary, and others, There is absolutely no droan what so ever in my cab... IT is all in the placement of the muffler and the type, Remember I have the suv50 muffler and with my exhaust experience I located the muffler all the way back as close to the rear axle as possible... This eliminates the droan.

I can have a normal conversation in the truck any time , even with the back window open.

The popping is a sign of a well tuned free flowing exhaust, thus meaning the best torque and HP has been achieved with that system. It doesn't pop when driving or simply letting off the gas, ONLY when you rev it over 3,000 rpms un loaded ( park or neutral)..

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions... And as I allways said, I agree it will never be 100% like a v8, But it will be the best dam sounding v6 any one has ever heard... ( and I have gotten the "thats only a v6??? " question, even at the place that dynoed my St...

Todd Z

Victor,

I had previously removed the 2 Pre cats with the random tech Y-pipe. This time I removed the 2 back cats and replaced with 1 high flow one... So I only have 1 cat on the truck...

Todd Z