High mileage 2004 RWD

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanparker

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I recently bought a 2004 sport trac with the v6 with 277,000 miles. I know these trucks can last a very long time but I’m having some issues with mine that I’d love some advice on how to solve. One thing is that the speedometer doesn’t work, I crawled under to check the transmission speed sensor and discovered that it was missing and the factory mounting location wasn’t there.

All sport tracs have the 5r55E. The issue is the year and 4wd. The speed sensor is in different places. It can be in the trans, The transfer case, or uses the ABS ring in the rear end center diff.
I would bet though since you have a 2004 your cluster needs to be rebuilt and sent out for repair. common on 2004 and 2005.

It’s a 2wd model and I’m getting an engine code for the speed sensor

Guess you should look at the sensors on the wheels to see if you have a connection loose or bad wire. If they all look good, you'll need a good scanner to see which one is bad or go to a shop to have them scan and find it

I have an 05, RWD and my speedo is out by about 10kmph. If I want accuracy I just use my phone. Might save you some time and money to just do that. Just a thought from a lazy old guy.

Latest posts