Hitch Position

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going to be towing a trailer from Houston to Denver this weekend, and I just did a TT/Lift and 265/75 R16 Tires... So I figure about 2.5-3" of lift overall.

Now the question is, when they installed my hitch a couple years ago, they set the ball so it was on the tall side of the reciever, basically at bumper height, should I reverse this to get a level tow with the trailer? Or get a 3" drop reciever and move my ball over to that one?

Going to depend on the trailer. You need to do what ever it takes to get the trailer as level as possible. Due to lifting your Trac you will probably need to get a drop receiver of 2 to 3 inches. But until you either get the trailer by your Trac or if you can't, get to the trailer and get the height to make the trailer level...

Jeff, I have the same exact set-up as you and I have a 2" drop on my receiver. It is as close to perfect as it gets. My boats ride nice and level. The big boat rides a lot more level then our smaller boats on the smaller trailer, but then again it needs to. It is a double axle trailer and a pretty heavy 21' Wellcraft.

I put 2 inch drop in mine for my popup. That made it about 17 inches , which is where it was on my other tow vehicle.