hitch question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Baker

Reaction score
I have just put on a class 3 resse hitch and I am looking for a certin reciever part the partI am looking I am not sure what it is called but it would be 2" x 2" square so that it would fit in my hitch opening and instead of having a ball on the end it would have a shakle so that I could hook a tow rope with a clip on it and pull another truck out of a ditch or use it to pull out a tree..... I have seen them on other trucks put have had no luck finding them online or in a store Dodge Ram used this attachment on the old Hemi commercial when he was pulling the cop car through the snow... If any one has one or knows were I could get one or even has a picture of one maybe I can have one made in town by a steel worker...

Thanks Baker

Just a FYI about this. You can accomplish the same simply by using the pin for the receiver. If you think about it, the only thing holding in the pintle hook is the pin. I have a two inch by thirty feet tow strap with sewn loops on the ends.

One other FYI - if you use a tow strap or chain with hooks, please please use a weight on the center of the line before pulling. These things break, and I know of an individual who was killed when the chain split, sending the one end through the windshield and contacting his head.

In addition to what Adam just said, only use certified chain and straps. Do not just go buy some chain or nylon strapping at the hardware store; it has not been tested. Certified tow chains/straps, have been load tested to 125% of their rating and will have a tag attached attesting to that fact. Do not use common rope. It stretches far too much and is not intended for such dynamic loads.

Latest posts