Hitch will not line up

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Heim

Reaction score
I bought a hitch from a member and it will not line up. Will a hitch from an 04 fit an 01? Can anyone measure the space between the holes on thiers and get back with me.

You have to really beat the thing on there.. Mine was a Pain to install.. Useda car jack to force it on...

The 01-05 are the same..

DID you remove the correct bolts??

Todd Z

I removed the the two that are connected by a piece of metal. I thought the other hole was one already in the frame.

Steve -

here's the website I bought the hitch from, perhaps you can reach them for install instructions as I can't find the ones I had.

the hitch was on my 2004 ST for almost 2 years so I know it has to fit somehow...

http://www.besttruckaccessories.com/receiverhitches/index.htm

Did the member actually have the hitch installed???...

It could be the wrong one...

Todd Z

Yes,

Perhaps the hitch is mismarked and does not fit a 2001-2005 Sport Trac. It may be for 2002 or later Explorer?? The previous owner may have encounter the same problem and so they sold it?

It's also possible that your bumper slipped when you removed the bolts and now the holes do not align properly?

All the Sport Track hitches I have seen require 3 bolts/nuts on each side, so that's why I think it may not be for a 2001-2005 Sport Trac and the member who sold it may have not been aware of that if they never tried to install it?

...Rich

He had it mounted. I found the right holes but they are different than the ones shown in the projects portion. The hitch has a cut-out to go around the two bumper bolts. I have to use the one hole on the frame and there is another on on the bumper bracket. Just looks like it is going to be a tight fit to get around the rear shackle.:wacko:

I'm the one who sold the hitch and it does fit, I had it on my 04 for over two years with no problems. It was a snug fit getting it installed but it will fit.

I installed a Canadian made "Hidden Hitch" that has two holes and a notch to mount it to the frame. I reversed one bolt to hang the notch on.

[Broken External Image]:

I could hang the hitch on the 2 notches and swing it up for the other two bolts.

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts