hood paint spidering

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
well i caught a rock in the windshield the other day and i got a really good adjuster at the claim center not only did he get the glass right but also gave time to repaint hood and fender from rock chips. so i drop the trac of at the bodyshop(owner is family) he advises they have to strip hood as the finish is spiderwebing/cracking from underneath ie from the fibreglass or they cant warranty paint. so ic all the local dealer he advises that ford will not cover the defect caused by fibreglass hood.

anyone else have this problem?

is the hood really fibreglass and can it cause problems in paint?

any way to get ford to warranty as ins is paying for paint they would get off cheap?

Did you buy the vehicle used? Someone else may have put on a 'glass hood as

an upgrade or performance option. As far as I know, all factory Trac hoods were

sheet metal. Just checked mine and the wife's, and they are both metal, at least

on a 2005. (Magnet sticks, weld seams, etc...). My best guess is if it is a fiberglass

hood, these are common problems with the spider-webbing, or "checking" of the

paint, due to excessive heat (no hood insulator pad), or improper preparation

of the surface prior to the original coats of paint being sprayed. Give us more

specifics, if you can, and we might be better able to help you with this problem...

They probably put a different hood on to cut weight. I know the factory paint job opn my 04 ADRENALIN was garbage. When I got a small rock chip it ended up HUGE and the paint would chip even more. Ford won't warranty a non factory hood. More specifics please.

I had this problem on my rear quarter panel. Started as a small crack on one of the corners and began to spider out. I took it to a small Ford dealership and they warranty replaced the whole quarter panel. Great people at Kieffe and Sons. It took me going to three dealerships before someone agreed to fix it. Good luck.

There have been a few members that have complained about their hood paint cracking. I'm not sure if this may be the case with you or not, but I figured it'd be a possible cause anyway. This problem is most common on dark colors, but JK II said that his hood and roof paint was cracking on his truck, and he has a white ST. My DWWB also has this problem on the hood. It looks like crows feet and you can feel the texture. Unfortunately, I am out of warranty and don't plan on finding a fix anytime soon, I'll just deal with it.

My 01 has the same problem with spider cracks in the paint. From what I have read there was something wrong with the paint. Mine is black!

Latest posts