How Do I disconnect cruise?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John D 3

Reaction score
Ok, I searched for the last six month's on "disconnect cruise control" and couldn't find it.

For a total idiot carwise (and in almost everything, just ask my wife), could someone kindly explain how/where/what I disconnect my cruise on my '02 to make sure it don't burn up?

I'm guessing its under the hood?

(See what I meant when I said "total idiot"?)

I *did* read that you disconnect something and then put electrical tape around it...and its red.

Pictures, or vivid description of the part?

Thank you very much!

JD

Just happened to be Reading it.. As I just called My dealer. because I didnt want to do a 2000 mile trip with out cruise Control..

Ok, I just read the link on replacing...

If all I want to do is disconnect, should I just remove the wiring clip and tape up the wiring clip and the old switch? Leaving the old switch in place, I assume...

Nothing bad will happen regarding brake fluid coming out or anything?

That looks pretty easy, if what I just typed is the right way to do it...

thanks,

JD

Awesome...I'll look at it tomorrow and try to do it.

Thanks for the help...

And lack of cruise won't bother me...I've NEVER used cruise control before.

Not even on my 12 hour drives to my parents house in Northern Indiana.

Just not a cruise control guy, I guess...actually, I DID try it once...just didn't like it.

thanks again,

John

The red CC deactivation switch can be seen in this picture with the black arrow pointing to it. Just disconnect the harness plugged into the top of it.

[Broken External Image]:

EricP,

Thanks! Very much!

That picture will make it MUCH easier...like I said, I know very little about the under the hood stuff.

Much appreciated!

John

I know you stated you don't use it much at all, but cruise is good for driving over the road on long trips and helps with miledge. you should be able to get the replacement piece FREE or pretty cheap from a Ford dealership. then you don't ever have to worry bout it. '

That part or upgrade harness (since most dealership service parts depts ran out of them) was suppose to be replaced free a long time ago because of the fire hazzard issue.

I don't really think a service tech anywhere is going to question a fix on it for free since it involves safety.

You could email Walls Ford site sponsor just to find out cost, and they do give us members a discount.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have one of the vehicles affected by the recall, most dealers now have those kits in stock. Personally, I'd pray mine was leaking, because then you'd get the new style switch instead of the jumper harness which is designed to fail. I kid you not. Those of you that have had the harness put on, read the blue tag on that harness. It tells you to replace the switch when the fuse blows!

Latest posts