How do I unlock my Bed cover on my 2005 SportTrac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Open the tailgate, use a flash light and flat screwdriver, on each side move the latch where it locks and then you can open.

Open the tailgate, use a flash light and flat screwdriver, on each side move the latch where it locks and then you can open.
Thanks Todd
I wish it was that easy
Tried that now I’m cutting of the bracket to get at the lock better
I just want it off ASAP I have work to do
Any other suggestions welcomed
WB

I’ve opened a few of them this way, so I don’t know what would be any different.

You can’t push on the latch itself. You have to see where the cable connects and push on that lever as if the cable was pulling on it.

You can’t push on the latch itself. You have to see where the cable connects and push on that lever as if the cable was pulling on it.
My luck I grinder off the stripped hex nuts on the brackets got it open then cut off the support bars
All good
There were no screws on this model of bed
So the back half is open now I have some air to do the front bracket should be a breeze now
lol
Thx all who read the thread

I took wrench and socket to it, and disassembled the latching mechanism that's attached to the truck bed. After 23.5 years of service, is EOL for the cover.

I’m with Todd on this one. My Gen1 had a frayed cable so the lock cylinder wouldn’t unlock the front half of the cover. Whenever I wanted to remove the cover, I just laid in the bed and pushed the part on each side with a screwdriver. Maybe you were trying to push it the wrong way? I can’t even think of how you’d bend a screwdriver and still be unsuccessful…

Maybe irrelevant now that you cut stuff off, but a future reader might benefit?

A past member had a project where he added pull cords inside.

Search: Rich Lunder

I’m happy with the way it turned out still useful with the tie straps
I just can’t lock it but I’m ok with that
Thanks