How Do You Ask A Guest To Leave? (very long)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fudged Undies

Reaction score
Summary if you don't want to read it all: House guest doesn't want/refuses to leave. Be careful they have more rights than you think. Yes you can make a contract but IMO you're better off avoiding the situation.

Never seems to amaze me how selfish and inconsiderate people can be. A friend of my g/f's came down from Maryland to work (she's an agency nurse, doesn't work directly for a hospital) she said work was difficult up there and she needed to make money. My g/f asked me if she could stay with us, and I agreed to a month. Somehow my g/f told her two and though I thought that was too long I let it slide(the guest wanted to stay six) . Well it's been two month's and this women doesn't seem to be leaving. She does give us $100 a week but that was her choice we didn't ask her for anything as it was a favor and we would have to pay whether she was there or not.

She said she was coming down to work but on average she has only worked two days a week(12 hour shifts). This really irks me since I HAVE to work and everyday at that. She's always here watching the only tv we have with cable. Major problem for me since I need/want my stupid box to relax when I get home and we really don't have similar viewing interests.

I/we have plenty of annoyances with her, including no help cleaning the house and cigarette/medicinal cigarette issues among them, but will avoid them to keep this somewhat brief(though not quite).

Though as typical for a guest, she has become something of a mooch. She buys groceries but pretty much petty stuff and I and the g/f avoid the things she buys. I specifically do because I don't like to eat other peoples food. Just a habbit I guess but she has had no problem eating much of what we buy. Not a huge deal but it gets rough when your looking for something and it's already been eaten. She has also used a large quantity of our duracel battery stash for her personal use while denying she has(20+ AA's) all without asking.

We decided to find out what her plan was as far as when she was leaving. She stated sometime in May. My g/f puts on the brakes and says that wasn't our agreement however the guest insists that it was and moreover state we have to give her a month to find some place else to go (un-freaken-believable). Naturally, that wasn't going to happen. Anyhow, I told my g/f to blame everything on me and that I wanted her out, so she would avoid any headaches with her, just in case. We discussed it last night while the guest was working and I decided to stay home today, confront her and get her out.

I confront her and she pretty much denies everything that had been agreed to and that the agreement was for 3 months. Everything I questioned her on it turned out I and g/f were completely mistaken and we were apparently liars and she was a victim of us making stuff up. This story goes on for a bit but the short of it is, she tells me she's not leaving until Sunday since she has to work tonight and tomorrow night. I'm in awe, this woman has some big BIG grapefruits. I made it very clear that she was leaving today either on her own or with my help ( to be clear this was not a threat- she was either going to pack her stuff and go or I was going to pack it up when she went to work and drop it off at the hospital when she got off). I truly feel crappy about all this but I'm certain had I given her notice she would have made no effort to leave and when that day came we would be back at square one.

Ultimately, my g/f and a co-worker came and it was worked out. I'm sure there will be sour grapes and I can understand but how do people renig on what amount to a favor and basically call you a liar. She's a "good christian woman" but this hasn't impressed me in the least about "good christians." I'm beginning to wonder if she doesn't have a chemical imbalance due to all the denial and flat out lying. In my life I never thought I would have to be such a jerk o

That is a hard spot to be in. Basically, she took advantge of you. It was selfish on her behalf, not yours. Like you, I would feel bad simply because there was an issue, not becuase of my actions.

NO ONE smokes in my home or vehicles, ZERO!!!!

I personally can not stand smoke. I was FORCED to grow up with it, I now own all my own stuff and I make the calls. It is so bad for me that it is one of the reasons I took the job I do now as there can be NO SMOKE anywhere near me.

As far as I am concerned, my home and car will always be worth more than another if all things were equal except they smoked in theirs.

I hope that it does not affect you and your g/f. Everything I know of you from the site leads me to believe your a good guy. I am sorry you were put into the position.

As far as working two 12 hour shifts, that is not uncommon for nurses. It replace 4 10's in most locations. I am betting you would do it too if your job would allow for it???

Ease your mind, Spaceman. Very few of these situations turn out well. I've been

there myself (opening home to some "friend"). None turned out well. Persons

like this/these do not care about other persons feelings, or they would not do

as they do. "Good Christian"? I know a few of these myself, and most of them

will take advantage of you quicker than a "Devil Worshiper"! God forgive me for

saying, but He and I know it's true.

When it comes to your home, you have to take a stand and err on the side of

safety. Bottom line, people like this do not care about other peoples feelings,

I would not give it another thought. ;)

Dude, she was making out on the deal. We used to use "agency X-Ray techs" when we were short-handed. She may have only worked two 12 hour shifts, but trust me, she was getting paid a hell of alot more than just a regular nurse. To top it off, most "agencies" will pay for room and board when the person has to travel. I'm friends with one of the guys that came here to fill in and he was getting paid 3 times more than me when he worked here, and they actually rented him a house when he was here for 6 months. She may have been getting paid as if she was staying at a hotel, and pocketing the money. (not hard to do from what my buddy told me) Sorry to hear you had that type of problem. Hope everything works out alright for ya.;)

If you need some help, let me know my wife is a paralegal for the State Attorneys Office. If you still have my number you can call or email me.

Don't let her take advantage of you.

oral agreements/promises don't mean anything after she lies and steals.

Guess if you don't want to throw her out, you could just become very obnoxious. Mess with her stuff everyday, get her clothes dirty, lay around the house naked, fart in front of her, don't let her sleep, etc. If you make her uncomfortable, she might leave or find something better for her.

Space,

Start walking around the house naked. That will get her to leave. (You know I love you though, dude)

Tom

Poison her while she sleeps?

Or just give her some of the recalled dog food...

Just a thought.

:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Spaceman, I feel for ya. That is a tough situation. I think that from what I read in the above replies that she is greedy and money hungry. Tell her to grow up, you've been doing some homework and talking to a friend who's an "agency" nurse and found she is making out like a bandit. She has 2 weeks to get out or she will find her stuff on the front lawn. Good Luck.

This is indeed a very unfortunate situation. At the risk of starting a debate over laws that will go on forever and ever I will post my understanding of the law regarding house guest at least here and I am sure they are similar in other states. Just to let you all know I am not in any way siding with the guest here. Spaceman you are lucky that it worked out as she legally may have been able to drag out her stay in your house.

Ok so it is civil law which me as a LEO does not get real involved in but basically a tenant does have way more rights than a landlord. After hearing many horror stories I would never ever want to be a landlord. Even when you take caution to let only people you trust or only friends in it can go bad. This "house guest" situation pretty much falls under the same rules as if she is renting from you. Basically if someone lives in your house under any agreement they have the rights of a renter, even a verbal agreement, and the verbal agreement is worse because it turns into a debate over what the agreement actually was. They have grounds to stand on if they can claim that they contribute to the household in any way. Whether it be $100 or buy groceries or pay some of the bills.

I'm guessing if you called the police they would have done nothing once they showed up and got the story, she would have said that there was an agreement to let her stay, you would have said no, she would have said she gives you $100 a week, you would have said but you didn't ask her to and so on and so forth and the cops would have said, uh you need to talk to an attorney this is a civil matter, bye.

I know this situtation is not a true landlord/tenant one but I believe the same basic rules apply. I have seen situations where a homeowner has actually moved somewhere else for a month or two while getting there "house guest" evicted and situations where landlords have gotten arrested for going to their house without permission of the renter. These things do happen. The laws are supposed to prevent the rights of renters and prevent someone from becoming homeless in an instant and to give them time to find other housing. There are laws that prevent a landlord from evicting someone with small children or evicting someone in winter time until they have another place to live.

Anyone considering becoming a landlord or renting a room to a guest should take caution.

I would have done about the same thing Spaceman did and then been thankful when it got rid of her.

Space,

Another idea would be is to ask her when she is taking a shower because your HDD is getting filled up so you only want to turn it on when she is in there.

Tom

Coastie, no smoking in the house but plenty of ashes on the patio, not to mention the nasty cig smell in the trash. As far as the 12 hour shifts, she was only working two a week, she was supposed to be down here MAKING money not just getting by. She has treated this more as a vacation.

I hear you Trac.

Stone, she makes between $35 and $45 an hour, and the icing on the cake, if she works 4 days a week the agency supplies room and board. (she denied this as well).

No one, Including me, wants to see me Naked.... That may just work......

To those who think you have no obligation, you'll be surprised as to what you have to do to kick someone out. Not having a contract seems to be a big problem. <a href="http://www.sptimes.com/2004/02/17/Tampabay/Law_slanted_in_favor_.shtml"target=top>Here's a link for a little additional reading</a> it's only one scenario but it's inline with much of what I read and how the law works in these cases.

<font color=red>Firedog hit it on the nose. This country tends to protect the abuser more than the abusee.</font>

Ultimately, as many of my long posts tend to be, they are something of learning lessons for others as they always are for me.

It's Saturday morning and she left last night so the ordeal is over. Hope everyone (including me) learned a little sumtin,sumtin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spaceman (others),

If she were a guest you could ask her to leave. If she didn't leave you could call the police and have her arrested for tresspassing.

BUT, she isn't a houseguest, she is tenant. I say that because you yourself said that she has been paying $100/week for the past several months. That is a financial arrangement that would hold up in court as a rentor/tenant arrangement and with implied verbal contract. The fact that you accepted the money, repeatedly, is your acknowledgement to be part of that arrangement and implied contract. She probably knew this when offering the money.

As a tenant she is due whatever the local or state laws require as to an eviction notice and period (often 30 days).

TJR

TJR, thought I didn't think about that, there was no proof of payment. The only check she ever gave was never cashed. We never invited her, she asked. I realize these are just technicalities but info like you post is the reason I put this up. I don't think most of us ever truly are aware of the consequences of being "nice." This certainly won't ever happen again.

Despite crying she wouldn't be able to find a place to stay on such short notice, she did not go to the other friends house last night. Not really sure where she ended up spending the night. As I have been going over the details and doing some analyzation of how I handled the situation, I haven't been able to find a better way I could have handled this and I'm lucky it worked out the way it did. As the g/f and me discuss the details of the past couple of months more and more stuff makes less and less sense.

Hope everyone realizes the consequences of being "nice."

Latest posts