How far can an ST go? (High mileage)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Moore

Reaction score
I have an 01 with 104,000 miles. No problems so far except the annual check engine light. I just had a lot of preventative maintenance done. How many people here have 100k+ on their ST? Any major issues? How long can they last? I'm hoping to get 150+.

John, I think they will run just as long as you keep up with the maint. on them. Every vehicle has it's problems, but as long as you keep the fluids full and fresh you can drive it for a long time. My father-in-law has over 400K on his Dodge truck. he just keeps up with the maint.;)

My Pops has an '88 Ranger running on a third engine. They will eventually go but who knows when. The more sophisticated they get with these engines and technology, the shorter life span they have. Kinda like people with medicine and side effects.

WOW, 100K My ST must be a real pup then.. I have an '01 with a whopping 26,000... just wish trade in on the '07 was better... really dropped..

no, it was my fathers, I inherited the truck last may. since i recieved it, it has gaines 4K of the 26... I love it.... needs new shoes though,, the factory ones are drying up on me

Sparks, hmm... I have over 124,000 miles on my 01, but the tranny went out at 116,000 miles. I can't complain too much, because it never had anything mechanically go wrong until that CEL came on at over 100,00 miles. Now, having said that, I did have a speaker, the horn, the 6-Disc, and then the INFAMOUS TURN SIGNAL/TILT DEBACLE happen, but all those things happened well after I had over 60,000 miles on it. Great truck overall, and I will give Ford the benefit :eek: of the doubt on the much improved 2007 model. I will pay my 01 off next March,I will KEEP IT, and more than likely buy an 07 Limited. BY then I will know what to look out for, and it will be a JOB 2.

;)

So when your tranny went out, were there any warning signs? On mine, from 1st to 2nd, I get a pause.. a slight rev increase, then it catches. Is this a sign of things to come?

I just paid mine off last month and would like to keep it at least another year, then buy a used 07 job2.

sparks, that is the infamous 2-3 flare. When was the last time you had the tranny flushed or the filter changed? Sometimes that helps. If you do the filter change you may as well try the EPC adjustment. (there's a project on how to do the filter change and one to do the EPC adjustment. It took mine away. The other option is to take it to the dealer and hope it does it there if you don't have the "flashing O/D light of death") If no light then they have no codes to pull up and you will get the "unable to reproduce complaint" that we all love to hear. It's a couple of easy projects to do yourself, and pretty cheap to do also. Check them out.;)

My brother has a 1999 Explorer, though it has the OHC 4.0, with 150,000 miles. My sister has a 1998 Explorer, also with the 4.0L OHV, with about 140,000 miles. Both run great. Tranny's shift smooth with no hint of problems.

Tom

Thanks for the info! Had my trans flushed and filter changed about 30,000 miles ago. May be time to do it again. I'll also check out the EPC adjustment.

30K. Yes it's time. See if it helps. Like i said, one thing you could do is get it flushed (no filter change), then take it home, drop the pan and change the filter and adjust the EPC. Kill two birds with one stone. Just a suggestion.;)

I am at 173,000kms as of last week.

I once had a 1983 chevy van on original engine, tranny ad everything else and when I got rid of ot it had 623,000 kms!!! I had to get rid of it cause it was a propane job and the propane system started leaking and I couldnt justify around 2 grand for a new system.

Dallas

My 01 had 110,000 on it when I traded it for the new one. Never had a problem until the week before I traded it, but it was just the alternator. If you take care of em they'll last.