How many have it?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve McKellop

Reaction score
Just wondering why the heck Ford would not put limited slip differentials in all 4x4 Tracs. Neither my 4x4 or my 4x2 parts Trac have L-S's. Sure wish I did! My F150 4x4 had it and that thing would go anywhere.

We're forecast to get 4-6 inches of snow here tomorrow and Saturday so I guess I'll see how she does in it.

It was an option they sell to make $$.....

The person that does not need it wants the cost savings not to have it..

most manufacturers do it..

both my St's 03 and 04 have the LSD....

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
It is absolutely about the money...

And, I suggest you spend some to get one because they are very nice to have..

It does make a nice difference, especially if it is a locker, even better..

If I were to do it all over, I would save the money and get a Powertrax.

I did get the LSD in my 4x2 '02 and after 104,00 miles, still working perfectly.

I prefer the option to choose to get or not to get than not have the option at all.

If you got it new, shame on you. If you got it used, buyer beware.

Tom

I know a few jeepers who are looking for one for me... I told them to find me an axle from an explorer with the 410s and disc brakes, and I will swap them for mine

They are all just going to lock it anyway, so it doesnt matter if theres is open or LS

I def. agree... my old ranger had ls, and i never got stuck trying to reverse into my own driveway with a little bit of ice.... if my truck wasnt 4x4, i would have sold it after the first week

I used to have a girlfriend who's Rear End was a "Positive Attraction" ...

:worthless::smile0002:

I bought mine used, Trac that is, so it has what it has. It just seems that if one pays the extra considerable amount to get 4WD then the cost of LS would be of little concern. I can see it as an option on 2WD models though. Sure wish they made the 8.8" 's like the 9", easy to swap in and out.

Steve...

The 8.8 is just as easy if you use motorsport parts....

No pinion depth tool needed, Nut set the backlash to .10 and go !!!

Fords 8.8 and all motor sport gears use the shim that is IN the rear already for the pinion...

nice trick huh ???

Todd Z

Of all the stuff I've done I've just never taken apart an 8.8 so I'm kind of hesitant...... I don't off road much, we don't get much snow (6" out there right now) and I'm not drag racing it. Guess it's more of a " in my mind" thing!:smile0005: Are there instructions for the Motorsport mod anywhere to view?

My P71 broke a spider shaft locking bolt, bent the shaft enough it wouldn't come out so I welded it to the carrier on both ends ....... still running 5 years later. The ring gear bolts on my F150 came loose, two came out, but I just bought new bolts and replaced them. Never seen one do that before. It's still going strong but without RABS since it took out the exciter ring.

25e4fa76e3d6baca507015fa099b164e.jpg

e057d399568def932c80fc6f1970b2c8.jpg

Steve,

Get the powertrax. You do not need to ear up the rear end to do it. Watched them do it on TV and it looked very simple.

You pull the cover off. You pull the pin. Remove spider gears. Install the powertrax unit, install the axles. All done.

I have never done it myself, but it doesn't look that hard.

From the way you talk, I am sure this is something you would have no trouble doing.

Tom

LOL..... Blow them up !!! Power shift at 6,200 RPM... OH well !!!

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]: