How many of us served in Vietnam?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1970 - 1971, US Army's 34th Aviation Group based at MAG-V Annex just outside of Tan Son Nhut Air Base in Saigon. I was awarded a Bronze Star for serving in Operation Lam Son (US incursion into Laos). The US Goverment continued to claim "There were no US forces on the ground in Laos, we were only providing air support", however three US choppers where shot down and the crews fought the VC for three days until rescued.

...Rich

Rose,

If your brother parachuted in Vietnam, he may have been in the 1st Special Forces Group or the 173rd Airborne Brigade. I think those were the only guys who did parachute jumps in Vietnam, and they stopped doing that because of all the injuries like your brother's. Most of the parachute jumps were in early 1965. That's when the 173rd left Okinawa an parachuted into Vietnam. But I'm sure there were special commando operations going on where guys were dropped into the jungle at night to do some recon work.

Sorry to hear about how your brothers were effected by their war experiences. I know I was pretty jumpy for about a year after I got back and even now I occasionally wake up startled if anyone touches me while I'm sleeping.

...Rich

My father was drafted almost immediately after my parent's divorce in '68. My dad served two tours in the Army...MAC-V - Delata IV.

I served 10 years in the Navy '84-94 with one combat deployment in the PG. Fired upon and fired back.

Thank God for you who served!!!

My father was drafted almost immediately after my parent's divorce in '68. My dad served two tours in the Army...MAC-V - Delata IV.

I served 10 years in the Navy '84-94 with one combat deployment in the PG. Fired upon and fired back.

Thank God for you who served!!!

Dec 66 - Jul 67 12thTactical Fighter Squadron (RF4C) Tan So Nhut Air Base in Saigon, then went to Phu Cat Air Base from Jul 67 - Dec 67 where I helped set-up a quick-turn operations of the RF4C's and RF-101 photo recon aircraft flying out of Tan So Nhut to help get the photos processed and out to Army Intel faster.

Sept. '68 - Sept. '69, Thanks for all the acknowledgements.......

I was NCOIC of air availability, with HQ&HQ, DivArty, 101 Abn. Div.

Based at "EaglesNest", in I Corp. (26 miles south of the DMZ) and flew regularly into the Ashau Valley, as well as to firebases in the area up to the DMZ.

"Welcome Home all our Band of Brothers & Sisters!"

May God Bless all our deployed Brothers and Sisters and THANK YOU for your service!

Latest posts