How much $$ has this site saved you?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle Widell

Reaction score
How much money has this site saved you? Due to advice received on this website, think of all the repairs you have been able to do yourself to your Trac, the money you have saved in the purchase of the vehicle.. or maybe a good lead to a discount on something for the trac - or even for repairs on something OTHER than the trac -- how much money have you SAVED by being a user of this website? (Sure we've spent more money than saved because of all the mods.. but let's go the other way for once..)

My most recent money saving adventure was curing the "Check Engine" light, which Autozone ran a scan on and said that I needed both upstream oxygen sensors. After searching through old posts on this website, I found other people cured the same problem by cleaning the MAF sensor with electronic cleaner. I did that, reset the computer, and now the light is gone. Has been for several hundred miles now.

Not only did I save the $120 for the O2 sensors, (and the frustration of finding out that wasn't the problem) but my gas mileage was down to about 12mpg from 16. So, I saved future fuel costs there too. Cost of repair - $10 for the can of electronic component cleaner from Radio Shack.

Michelle,

I don't know how much this site has saved me, but I guarantee you it has cost me thousands of $$ in mods I wouldn't have otherwise thought of.

:lol:

I am one of the fortunate few where I had no real issues with either of my Tracs. Plus, I own my own repair shop. So I always was ahead of the ball because of others that had issues.

But I know of MANY that have fixed the running lean issue with the famous defective vacumn elbow.

How many people here would have fell for the mechanics that misdiagnosed the DPFE sensor as the EGR system bad?

I remember when I got my Check Engine Light come on. Sure enough, it was one of the DPFE sensor codes. I wrote the code down and wrote a little note to the Ford Dealer.

"CEL P0401 illuminated. TSB number 03223. Please replace DPFE sensor properly"

I had to leave on a job, so dad gave them the note. They were pissed.

The first think they said "How does he know that is the problem?"

Dad's reply, because he does.

Tom

It has cost me money in mods, but not really, I always do certain mods to my cars anyway.

Things I have learned on this site will definitly, help me in the long run, good info and good knowlegable folks here...

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see where the site will save me money in the long run, but so far it is costing me a fortune in mods. Actually I would probably do most of the mods I've done anyway, so the site has just made it easier to find things to do to my Trac.....Hmmm.....Then maybe the site has saved me money in the time that I would sit around thinking of mods to do. Ok....yep...this site has saved me a fortune!!!

It has certainly made modding my Trac alot of fun...Thanx everybody!!!

This site has cost me $620 ($500 for my B/S Dueler Revos and $120 for my ProComp shocks). The money was worth it though, because my truck handles much better than new. :D

Here’s a testimonial I posted awhile back:

Weds night the Check Engine Light came on while driving home from having dinner. Since ST seemed to be driving alright I just drove home. Next morning . CEL light still on .... I was low on gas , so I fill up and at lunch time I disconnected the battery to reset computer.....CEL gone ......Then Fri. evening while running errands it came back on. Took it to Pep Boys .....OBD came back with PO171-lean on bank 1......I told guy that my fellow MyST members said must likely be the Elbow Hose ....went right to it and sure enough... Big Crack in it !! He state that would be a dealer item , I told him a member got a radiator hose and cut it down to fit. Even gave him the part no. $3.91 for hose. He said "That website just saved you a bunch of money ....Whatever you're paying to belong is well worth it. " I told him it was free ...just people who love our trucks and want to help other that feel the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
This past week I got my money's worth from this site and it's members.

How much does a front brake job normally cost ? (rotors replaced , pads replaced , brake line bleeding, parts cleaned and lubed) My total cost for parts was about $150, the rest was knowledge picked up from posts and from JohnnyB's project.

Fuel Filter replaced ($14 filter + $11 for proper metal tool). Second time this has been accomplished with know how to do the job gleaned from this site.

Manual transmisson fluid changed out for the second time, fellow member Spaceman Spiff provided a basic how-to at the Atlanta meet. Put in royal purple syncromax, cost was $23 for 3 bottles per online link provided by member babycid808.

So just this week I was able to accomplish some maintenance tasks that in the past I would have gone to a dealer or mechanic to have done. This way I get some personal job satisfaction out of it, and save some money for mods, overall I guess it's a wash :)

Using my wifes logic this site has saved me lots of money.

"Honey, I saved 25% on everything at the mall today, it was all on sale", translation please: "Honey, I spent $450 instead of $600 today on things I could have done without".

I spent a lot of money on parts, got good deals based on info I got here. So that is money saved right? Does it really matter if I would not have bought the part in the first place had I not read about it here?

To make it an even better deal, I just switched to Geico and saved a lot of money on my car insurance.

Between things I've learned about the ST and other info on this site, I've saved thousands of dollars... Although I've spent more than I normally would too!

Having the 'Flashing O/D light of Death' come on, reading posts here, and getting the tranny checked out before it needed a rebuild, and ONLY having to replace the solenoid valve body saved me thousands, although I SHOULDN'T have had to replace it in the first place...

And, like Tom, I've gone into my local Ford dealer with my rig and a TSB and said 'Fix it'...

They look at me and say "How do you know this is the problem?" I tell them... "Trust me, it is." It's like I know more about my rig than the dealer does!

This site has saved me a lot of time in advance shopping for the parts I was thinking about buying anyway. myst.com has helped me spend thousands in cash. Time saved by really knowing what I wanted after looking at everyones ST.:wacko:

Priceless. :wub:

Mark S

Just like everyone else, I'm spending here and there on mods. Most recently, I purchased a high series console and overhead console from another member. Considering it's in like-new condition and Ford wants around $1200 for it, but I paid $200, then I'd say I'm saving some decent cash overall. The member projects here are awesome to help you do it yourself instead of paying a shop to do the work. This site and members are fantastic!

Ken

I saved about $2500-$3000 on the price of my second Sport Trac by getting an X-Plan PIN from one of the members here.

That's a good deal to me!

...Rich

Latest posts