How To Disable AWD & Traction Control: 08-09 STA

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
So I've read around and it's been said on multiple forums that I can disable my AWD and my traction control.

However, no one really says how I can do this. So I'm asking, in detail, how do I disable my AWD and my TC for Dyno runs and maybe a burnout :)

I'm also wondering if driving with the AWD disabled will damage it in any way or cause issues when I go to re-enable the AWD.

Any comments, answers or questions are welcome! :banana:

well my 2004 Mountaineer is AWD, or was. We removed the front drive shaft. now it is RWD and it drives fine. Have had no problems with it. Removing the driveshaft was a lot cheaper than replaceing the messed up transfer case.

Only person I know who has turned off the TC is Chris at Blow By Racing....I'd call him!

He has a 2wd though....so the AWD question he may not be able to answer....or maybe he will!?

Clay,2/17/2009 14:39 MT

well my 2004 Mountaineer is AWD, or was. We removed the front drive shaft. now it is RWD and it drives fine. Have had no problems with it. Removing the driveshaft was a lot cheaper than replaceing the messed up transfer case.

Something about ths just doesn't sound right. Is it a true AWD system or do you have the AWD selectable one

My 2007 Sport in AWD or auto engagement (I am guessing here) is engaged by a sprag type of slip engagement probably similar to the big military 6x6 5 tons but miniaturized. I have a 76 3/4 W200 Dodge Power wagon that is really front wheel drive in the normal mode, which is great as that's where the weight is at. Testing the Dodge you put the front tires on wet grass or snow with the rear tires on pavement purposely slip the front tires the rear axle engages.

The Sport manual says you will feel 4x4 engage in the normal driving mode upon slippage and is normal so it has a slippage sensor or type of sprag unit. Yes I can feel it and hear it engage. In the 4x4 mode you can not feel any change. I can be corrected on this but I do believe the primary driven axle is the rear.

My big boy STARHAULER a 5 Ton x military 6x6 dump truck slippage in the rears is detected by the sprag unit then power is transmitted to the front axle. On 2.5 ton trucks the front axle is engaged by a air operated locking system. By the way If I ever stick my sport the Big Boy with its 20,000Lb drag winch will either pull it out or I will have the first stretched out Sport Trac limo ever seen!

I don't want to remove anything mechanical. If I can just pull a couple fuses and get the same results I would rather do that but no one has confirmed that this is possible.

If I can just pull a couple fuses and get the same results I would rather do that but no one has confirmed that this is possible.

I do not believe that is possible. The main reason? You have AWD and not a 4x4. AWD vehicles have a type of "center differential" in their transfer case. What that means is that unless you are locking it in 4x4 high, the system will direct power to the tires that are not spinning.

With the power removed from the transfercase, a differential will direct power to the wheel that is slipping. That may sound like that would work, but it will not. When a differential spins, it spins output shaft at double the speed that is being inputed.

Logically, the only way you can make this possible is to pull all fuses and connections to the traction control system. Pull the front drive shaft. Place the vehicle in 4x4 high.

I see no other way this is even remotly possible with "just pulling a fuse".

Tom

By disabling AWD what would you gain? You could pull the front drive shaft but if it is not engaged it is only free spinning. The front end is still turning the axles and differential. Now if you had lock outs on the front hubs you might be doing a bit of savings. Question though is why buy a 4x4 when there are 4x2s that you would not have to mess with?

So in my view, well I might make it through that little mud hole, ooops oh bull no one around up to the doors in mud, going to go a skin diving to put a drive shaft on? Murphy's law applies to 4x4s probably through the thought process of well I thought I could.:(:huh:

I'd gain the ability to Dyno test it! I bought a AWD because I drive my 08 STA all year and well...since we live in upstate, NY we get tons of snow here.

I just really want to fit it on a Dyno. The closest AWD Dyno is to small to fit my vehicle on so that means I need to look for a way to disengage the AWD so that only the rear tires are moving at 100%. Then I have the traction control issue.

Lockouts- that is the answer.

Ford used to put manual or auto-locking hubs on the Explorers. Not sure what the current ones have.

Sometimes I wish my Trac had manual hubs. Would make life so much simpler and save some fuel, as well as wear and tear.

The new ones are a direct splined coupling, No hubs at all..... Just like a FWD car....

Psy,

The traction control was just announced by a member here that he unplugged his ABS on the truck and was able to get around it...

NY john figured it out too, But would not say.....

As for the AWD, the ST is a viscus coupling, you would have to remove the front drive shaft..

Some vehicles you can disconnect the sensors on the T-case as well to prevent it from engaging..

Todd Z

Why not just put it on the dyno and jack/block the front wheels off the dyno?

That sounds dangerous, I know, but I'm not sure it's any more or less dangerous than "hoping" you got all the right fuses pulled that will keep the fronts from engaging under all the right conditions.

TJR