How to remove epoxy primer on my trac?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dindo Perlas

Reaction score
I noticed 3 traces of something gray on the bonnet of my trac. Thinking it was paint, I tried applying kerosene to remove it but I couldn't. I realized it could be epoxy primer I got when I parked at a local mall that was being repainted. It's been there for maybe 2 months. I'm planning to bring the trac to an exterior detailer next weekend. But I thought that before someone else messes with my trac, let me consult this forum first.

Anyone knows how? TIA.

Yup, go get yourself a mothers clay bar. It should come in a box with some detail spray. Clay bars will do wonders at removing paint overspray.

I've heard of clay bars for use on bugs, tars, etc. But is it any good on an epoxy primer? I'm not really sure but I'm thinkin' that an epoxy primer is much, much tougher a stain than bugs and tar. Or is it not? :unsure:

I had over spray from a New York Thru-way crew spraying a center line. I didn't get to it for nearly a month. When I finally got to it I used a clay bar and it removed all of the yellow specks. Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Clay bars are the way to go for any wax prep too. You don't have to use the lubricant either. After washing your car once, remake a bucket of your soap solution which will work the same. Work your ST one panel at a time. If you already have a good wax on the car follow up with a quality dry-wash (don't forget the door jams). You'll love it everytime.

First try the clay bar as the best possible solution to getting the paint off as long as it's a very light mist or fog from overspray.

If that fails you may have to go to a very-very mild polishing compound safe for clear-coat finishes.

Either of the above should work, however if they don't work, you will need to resort to more agressive polishing compounds and a very delicate touch to prevent cutting through the clear-coat. If you don't trust yourself, go to a good detail shop and let them do the work.

...Rich

OK... It's unanimous... I'm gonna get my hands on that clay bar later. If it doesn't work on the epoxy primer, I have lots of tar on my trac to put it to use.

I'll give you feedback on this.

You're great guys!

Latest posts